Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
While copying the theme files off the device for development, I noticed the "booting.png" file in /usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/images/system-services/ (if you look there, you'll also see all the MALF screens in case you want to "customize" them too, but that would be rather pointless..).

Anyway, one obvious use case here would be to add your contact information to the booting.png file, so in case your device gets lost, the honest finder can get your contact info without having to know the device lock or SIM PIN. Alternatively, just add a MeeGo logo or a big, fat "N9" logo there, so everyone knows this is not a fake N9 and doesn't run WP7.

First, copy the file /usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/images/system-services/booting.png from your device to your computer. In the default USB networking SDK setup, you can do this with:

Code:
scp developer@192.168.0.15:/usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/images/system-services/booting.png .
Now, you can use a tool like GIMP to add text to it. Please note that it will have to be in lanscape mode, so you might want to rotate your text by 90 degrees, but don't rotate the image itself! After that, copy the modified booting.png file back to the device:

Code:
scp booting.png developer@192.168.0.15:
Now, you need to replace the file in the system as root:

Code:
ssh developer@192.168.0.15
devel-su
cd /usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/images/system-services/
rm booting.png
cp /home/developer/booting.png .
exit
exit
If you now power off your device and power it on again, you will see the text for about 7 seconds while the device is booting up (this will not prolong the booting process, it just happens that this image is displayed for about 7 seconds during boot). I was able to successfully do this on a N950 with PR1.1. YMMV. Especially, this is as of yet untested on a N9, but let me know if it works for you
Attached Images

Last edited by thp; 2012-01-19 at 11:33.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
It works on the N9, as this was done in my FDB Theme.

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Hey thp, 'servas oida'! Looks like you've got proper skills, as I've been watching your progress re FM radio. Have you ever considered making a truly useful application like SMS editor so received and sent sms could be edited on the fly? That would be cool. Talking Vienna, such editor could be easily enough used to edit dates/time on Wiener Linien's Handytickets, for example. They never check checksums.

Thanks!

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
You mean to steal from the taxpayer-funded public transport system of Vienna? Or what, exactly?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by noetus View Post
You mean to steal from the taxpayer-funded public transport system of Vienna? Or what, exactly?
Yeah, I meant exactly that. And you are? How is this your concern again?

Last edited by DarkSkies; 2012-01-20 at 12:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
It didn’t work for me on my N950 with PR 1.1
I replaced the existing boot logo, even deleted it first like explained.
But it always shows the original logo.

OT:
In case somebody wants to use the Nokia font, get it here: http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/10/nokia-n9-fonts/
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 491 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
It didn’t work for me on my N950 with PR 1.1
I replaced the existing boot logo, even deleted it first like explained.
But it always shows the original logo.

OT:
In case somebody wants to use the Nokia font, get it here: http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/10/nokia-n9-fonts/
They're my fonts

Hit thanks if I have helped in some way, or you agree with me

Twitter
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Battery Widget
#OperationUnicorn
Harmoji - Emoji for Harmattan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N9 [Black] - Sailfish OS (1.x.x.xx)
N9 [White] - PR 1.3 [Stock]
N950 - Sailfish OS
Z10 LE - 10.2.1.1055
Dev Alpha C - 10.2.1.1055

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
IIRC it was knowledge commonly shared in the forums at the time.