Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
It would be interesting to see the battery life of GPD.
I made it through a whole day today on a single charge browsing the internet, streaming video, brightness at 50%, and fan on high.

Originally Posted by Dave999
Can it make calls?
Yes it can.

I did it from my Google Voice/Hangouts, but make sure you are wearing headphones as the microphone is close to the speaker, otherwise it'll echo like crazy.

Originally Posted by TheKit
This could be a nice Linux mini-PC, but somewhat pricey. Is the sound chip working (often an issue with Atom-based SoCs)?
Pricey? Could be worse, my friend. XD
The sound chip does not work under Arch or Xubuntu, unfortunately. Hopefully there will be a breakthrough soon.

This reply was typed on my GPD WIN
It does take some getting used to, but it isn't bad at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x_Blaze.It.Beau_x For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
But the Pyra runs Linux out-of-the-box. What usually happens with devices like the GPD Win is that enthusiasts are able to get about 85% funtionality under Linux, and then they hit walls. There are half a dozen gnu/linux distributions that sorta, kinda, almost work on the Nexus 5, for example. The Pyra, if it ever actually ships, really will be a functional handheld Linux machine.
GPD did you say that the Win could be used to run Linux. The components are generic, the only thing that would possibly cause problems for Linux are the controller.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
But the Pyra runs Linux out-of-the-box. What usually happens with devices like the GPD Win is that enthusiasts are able to get about 85% funtionality under Linux, and then they hit walls. There are half a dozen gnu/linux distributions that sorta, kinda, almost work on the Nexus 5, for example. The Pyra, if it ever actually ships, really will be a functional handheld Linux machine.
The Pyra uses an ARM processor, unlike the GPD which has an x86 processor. That is why the GPD is a better option.
GPD is like a reborn UMPC, something i did not expected to see in 2016.

I don't know the production capabilities of GPD, but i think they have only one production line for the GPD win. They should focus more on this project because the demand is high.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
GPD did you say that the Win could be used to run Linux. The components are generic, the only thing that would possibly cause problems for Linux are the controller.
I don't know what you mean by generic.
But Linux actually does recognize the controller.

The Following User Says Thank You to x_Blaze.It.Beau_x For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
The Pyra uses an ARM processor, unlike the GPD which has an x86 processor. That is why the GPD is a better option.
Not for me, I don't care about Windows (for most people that seems to be main reason wanting a x86). I do care about battery life, Linux, community, quality, features and long term support. That is why I expect the Pyra to be a better option for me.
I am looking forward to see an unbiased comparison between both running a Linux distro.
BTW. they have designed the Pyra to be CPU upgradable so it might be possible to get an x86 on the Pyra as well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by x_Blaze.It.Beau_x View Post
I don't know what you mean by generic.
But Linux actually does recognize the controller.
Generic as in off the shelf. It doesn't use that much in the way of unique components. The 5.5" 720p touchscreen is used in a variety of products, the intel atom processor and motherboard are super common and are found in dozens of products and the flash and ram would definitely be off the shelf. I am not sure about the rest of the components such as the sound chip, sd card reader, bluetooth, speakers, or wifi. Those components I am not sure of.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Not for me, I don't care about Windows (for most people that seems to be main reason wanting a x86). I do care about battery life, Linux, community, quality, features and long term support. That is why I expect the Pyra to be a better option for me.
I am looking forward to see an unbiased comparison between both running a Linux distro.
BTW. they have designed the Pyra to be CPU upgradable so it might be possible to get an x86 on the Pyra as well.
I lost my patience and faith while waiting on OpenPandora to become something more than just a curiosity way back in 2010.

It's 2016, nearly 2017 and yet we're nowhere closer to where we'd rather be. It's almost like the oft-repeated, never actualized mantra of "Year of the Linux Desktop" - and here we've more than likely moved past desktops now to more mobile solutions.

I get the faith, the trust and even the merit behind your decisions. But I am no longer to be counted in that group of the faithful or patient.

In my estimation, I've been waiting since the mid-90's to now for something to become what I'd fully support and would fully support the needs and wants of my ideals around computing.

x86 or ARM; I don't really care. Just be real.

This has my attention though; I can admit that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
[...]
Yup, there's a reason why Intel gave up on the mobile market.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Outstanding !-

You said you were installing Arch:
Are all these observations are all made regarding
performance under Arch ?

Originally Posted by x_Blaze.It.Beau_x View Post
I made it through a whole day today on a single charge browsing the internet, streaming video, brightness at 50%, and fan on high.

Yes it can.

I did it from my Google Voice/Hangouts, but make sure you are wearing headphones as the microphone is close to the speaker, otherwise it'll echo like crazy.

Pricey? Could be worse, my friend. XD
The sound chip does not work under Arch or Xubuntu, unfortunately. Hopefully there will be a breakthrough soon.

This reply was typed on my GPD WIN
It does take some getting used to, but it isn't bad at all.
Which DE are you using ?

Thank you for your report.
If you accepted LTC I would send you a couple for an in-depth...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
My GPDWin Also arrived yesterday.
Build quality is pretty nice if you ask me

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
gpd win, linux, pocketable, windows