Been searching everywhere on this forum for a way to remove apps from the apps menus that did not uninstall properly. Specifically Bomberman for N810.

Downloaded/installed easyroot and typed root...
I'm familiar with dos commands, but new to linux/unix/xterm.

1. I see the cd command, but how do i find, remove or edit a file or folder? Is there a dir command?
2. Any good online references on how to navigate xterm for dummies?
3. Why can't this be done in an app like File Manager?

Any help?
Thanks

Originally Posted by sirfelix View Post
1. I see the cd command, but how do i find, remove or edit a file or folder? Is there a dir command?
The dir command is "ls" or "ls -l". Read a tutorial about the [Linux] shell if you want to use it.

You can install a GUI file manager (from maemo) if you prefer this. I don't know how to run GUI applications as root on the tablets.

You can access files and directories on your tablet through ssh from a desktop/notebook computer after installing openssh-server. KDE, GNOME and some Windows software let's you connect to a ssh server as a network folder.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Been searching everywhere on this forum for a way to remove apps from the apps menus that did not uninstall properly. Specifically Bomberman for N810.
Try:
rm /usr/share/applications/hildon/bomberman.desktop

Not sure though.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by sirfelix View Post

Downloaded/installed easyroot and typed root...
I'm familiar with dos commands, but new to linux/unix/xterm.

Any help?
Thanks
Unix/Linux is a little different from DOS on the command line. You probably want to give this a look (and print it out):
http://fosswire.com/wp-content/uploa.../fwunixref.pdf

That will help you with the command line. You may be able to use dpkg to remove packages that didn't install properly. From the command line type 'dpkg -h' to get help. Careful thought, dpkg is very powerful, and when run as root could remove packages you didn't want removed, so be careful.

I hope this helps,

Craig...

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Here's a site that I use to figure out the proper command:

Quick Reference: Unix Commands

Thanks to all, will try this later when on the N810.

You can use dpkg from the command line to manage packages, and apt-get to install them.
dpkg -l - list all packages
dpkg -L xxx - list all files owned by xxx
dpkg -r xxx - remove xxx
dpkg -S yyy - find package owning yyy
dpkg -h - pretty good command list and mini-help

get ssh-server and login from a real keyboard - much easier...

Not sure I'm an ambitious Linux user enough to use SSH and only want to occationally repair the odd install.
Easyroot, ls, cd, and rm did the trick, but I did store your posts for future use.

My next big task is to wait for the next OS in hopes of some new features. I want to eventually load a solution to get portrait mode so I'm going to educate myself on the xterm commands.

Great forum, thanks again.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't get it, why not run Application Manager and uninstall Bomberman there? Application Manager lists programs that are broken with little red x's, as I recall.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
I did install Bomberman via App Manager, but I didn't like the game and uninstalled it via Apps manager. Later I noticed the app menu shortcut was still there, so I wanted a way to remove that menu entry via root/xterm. I couldn't find a way to remove it via GUI.