Active Topics

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
the fax protocol can't go thru the cellular network?
It can. But I'm not sure whether it uses a different (special) codec, in the old days when fax was still "popular" you had to ask the telco to enable fax functionality (in return for a hike in monthly charges usually) before you can use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
I'm always wondering why they don't inlucde this function in the new smartphone so we can fax using the phone or thru computer directly, even we can tether it as a dial up modem, or the fax protocol can't go thru the cellular network?
This does work fine, its essentially just a question of lack of interest (presumably) to develop software - Back in 2007 ish Nokia licensed and rebranded a third-party tool that allows you to send faxes on S60 3rd edition and made it available via the Download! service for all E-series devices at the time (you could manually download it to any N-series using S60 3rd ed as well though) and the software worked great for sending faxes directly.
There are undoubtedly pieces of fax software kicking about for newer platforms, I just dont think Nokia have provided any directly since S60 3rd ed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
I think he might mean using a software to send fax by dialing to a fax number directly rather than going thru some 3rd party service.
Yeah, it should be possible (eg using efax or sendfax for the back end) but no one's written something like that yet.

I'm always wondering why they don't inlucde this function in the new smartphone so we can fax using the phone or thru computer directly, even we can tether it as a dial up modem, or the fax protocol can't go thru the cellular network?
Fax is probably considered a "legacy" medium by now, and with good reason, but they even removed support for dial-up PPP in Maemo 5 :-(

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Quebec, Canada
(Assuming you already have an internet fax service subscription) You can easily send fax from your N900 device by:
1. Make sure you have the document to send on your N900 (JPEG ,Doc, XLS, PDF, etc.)
2. Log-in to your service online account or to your email account.
3. Compose a new email message.
4. Fill-up the recipient's information (fax number, etc.)
5. Attach the document to fax.
6. Click the send button.

The Following User Says Thank You to ginabenner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oslo, Norway
i want a fax program as well, it is still usefull. Fax is still valid for sending stuff with signature, jeje i know that you can do all the same things with email, but it is something with fax that makes people trust it more, dont know why since it's easy to fake.

-s-

The Following User Says Thank You to smartypants For This Useful Post:
Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
I join the petition.

With the government of my country, I still ask-faxing

The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteWolf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
It can. But I'm not sure whether it uses a different (special) codec, in the old days when fax was still "popular" you had to ask the telco to enable fax functionality (in return for a hike in monthly charges usually) before you can use it.
You didn't have to enable that, I used regular phone line/service to send and recive fax before using fax modem

The Following User Says Thank You to mcdull For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
i want to make coffee, with right amount of sugar, with my n900. How do i do it?
nice !!! :d:d:d

The Following User Says Thank You to n900maniac For This Useful Post:
I used to send & recieve Faxes using a Psion 5 & some cellular with ir transmitter.
But that of course was in the good old days. The days when Symbian (Epoc) had some great weekly overview in the Calender app. The standard app....

Anyway - fax is the only accepted form for official communictaion with companies & governments - besides registered letters.
As little as i need it - sometimes i DO.

So - yes. Definatly interested in the ability to send Faxes via the N900. Directly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2beers For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by 2beers View Post
So - yes. Definatly interested in the ability to send Faxes via the N900. Directly.
Source: http://home.intekom.com/option/faq35.htm
1. Upgrade your voice-only GSM cellular susbscription to a data/fax/voice subscription;
[2: optional] Get your additional, incoming data/fax GSM numbers;
3. Get fax-sending software on your mobile. Not sure which one you can get to work on N900. Something like efax, maybe.