Active Topics

Originally Posted by evan View Post
I finally read my usb stick in the file manager, although I had to first manually do
mkdir /media/flash
before I do
mount /dev/sda1 /media/flash
I thought the mount button in the GUI would take care of these.
I tried this procedure but it does not work. When I write lsusb into x-term I get Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 , so my n900 did not find usb stick. When i write mount /dev/sda1 /media/flash I get "No such file or directory" .

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Italia
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Can anyone confirm the newest version's mount button correctly handles multiple devices?
I hope dh_* chmod +x'd the script... if not, try chmod +x /opt/h-e-n/mount.sh in a root shell.
it doesn't work

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Finland
Running "sh /opt/h-e-n/mount.sh" manually gives "/opt/h-e-n/mount.sh: line 26: syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "}")"
Is it supposed to give that or am I just lost?

Edit: add the missing } in the end of mount.sh and chmod +x it, then it works

Last edited by Keneraali; 2010-11-11 at 21:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Keneraali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
sorry when I sound like a partypooper, but mounting a drive under linux is elementary 101, there's lots and lots of howtos to be found on web, and it's not really a problem related to hostmode in any way. There's quite a number of different solutions for mounting/unmounting/safely-removing plug-able devices (not only USB though that's most popular, there's also sata, firewire, even scsii, yes also your uSD of N900! Etc.) on usual linux desktops, like automounter, context menus in filemanagers, device managers.
I don't think h-e-n GUI should try to re-invent the wheel here, and should rather stay away from mounting all together. It's not a task of a hostmode-manager's genuine domain. Mohammad implemented it for convenience reasons for the Beta AIUI, just to deal with what we thought would be the most common case. As well you could do same thing with e.g Desktop Cmdline Execution Widget or QueenBeeCon.

On a completely different topic: Multiboot is a hackerish thing which for all I know is reflashing kernels(!!!) on every boot. It's completely irrelevant if these kernels are hostmode enabled or not. So please take problems which are arising from kernel update or adding another alternative kernel to multiboot, to where they belong: Multiboot maintenance.
h-e-n is not responsible for multiboot problems, and also we're not the experts to help you out here

Thanks for all your enthusiasm and reports and suggestions, please understand we want to evolve h-e-n Beta into a proper naturally working tool, not hotfix any problems possibly unrelated to hostmode per se into a more cluttered less straight and clean Beta2, then Beta3 and so on.

Cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I need help please

I installed hen and updated it today and the default camera was not working so i uninstalled the fcam app (read in the thread) and rebooted my N900 and now its in the restarting loop and not turning on.

Members ur kind help required

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
@Farooq

It 's time to flash your kernel. See this post for how to.

Last edited by anapospastos; 2010-11-12 at 08:04.

Originally Posted by anapospastos View Post
@Farooq

It 's time to flash your kernel. See previous pages for how to.
Can u please point out the exact post for this it will be of great help from ur side.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@MohammadAG: I've changed the /opt/h-e-n/mount.sh script as follows and it seems to work, at least *in vitro*

EDIT warning I removed the code because it worked for single partition devices but doesn't work for multipartition

EDIT EDIT new script some posts below. Good for mounting multipartition devices, as Mohammad intended. Better umount by hand for now, instead.

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-11-12 at 13:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Since you all are running ke-recv [1] anyway, why the hell do not you try to recompile it with FREMANTLE_MODE undefined; from a cursory look it seems that might be enough to get automounting for usb volumes to work. And if not (and you're interested in non-manual mounting that much), why do not you just find out how to do it with the daemon already running and eating your memory?

PS: Not a being a believer in the "Just say No" strategy [2], i still feel like politely asking all forum members to refrain from posting while intoxicated, TIA.

[1] http://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-af/ke-recv
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Say_No

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PaulFertser For This Useful Post:
was trying to connect my Canon DSLR as mass storage device to backup my camera pictures on the road.

(as alternative i now am using my SD card reader which works great using h-e-n but i would prefer a direct connection to my camera so i dont'have to carry the SDcard reader.)

However a direct connection does not work as I and others have noticed.
reason for this is that the Canon uses USB for multiple purposes. To be able to use a "mass storage" device it must receive a specific command so its put into this mode.

I started looking for alternative solutions, and started this new thread.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...210#post871210

as you can read, possible a few options are there and looking well.

reason i post a message here is because i had the following question.
is there any possible change in the future that you could/would embed some parts into h-e-n?
Only thing i really would need is:
- option to mount the SDcard from the camera directly.
means: some button in the interface in example "mount camera"
and when pressed, code is send to put the SLR into storage device mode?
the right protocol codes for the cameras are available on gPhoto.

The Following User Says Thank You to pennywise For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host