Active Topics

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
+1 to what zwer said...

Registered Linux user #266531. Android user since v1.0.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
By the way I am also curious about the WebKit people in NOK. Are they affected as well? There is no place in WP strategy for WebKit after all.
Don't fear about WebKit. WebKit is heavily used by Apple and Apple is one of the main contributors to the project.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
I am not entirely familiar with system architecture, but I have been wondering... why didn't Nokia use Android core then port Qt and build the whole UI on top of it?

Imaging a Android core + Harmattan UI... would this be a possible direction for community to work on?
Simple because Dalvik sucks

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
I think your colleagues should try out a windows phone and get there own opinion. Why not give it to them since you dont like it iven if its free, And I hope people here do that before the decide that windows sucks. different people have different use cases. Form you on opinion is what the right way
Because maybe some people doesnt want to HELP Microsoft to success to kill Maemo and Qt?

Originally Posted by zwer View Post
So, Microsoft did what everybody would do in their place - they made sure they kill all the efforts towards that goal while still in infancy.
Perhaps so, but AFAIK the Meltemi project was also initiated after Elop was already in the office. Why do you think they allowed that, just a smoke screen? Also, MS has no viable platform to offer for low end phones. Don't you think it looks a bit odd if Nokia halts development on that area too, the only market where they still have some sales to speak of? (quite soon, I don't think S40 has a chance against low end androids without Qt).

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
wall-o-tezt
@Zwer (incognito)

Supremely well constructed post, as per usual.

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
the funny thing is the board has a number of Finnish people...why on earth are they not intervening even though Nokia has championed open source since a long time confuses me...

how they can allow a company with values and European production allow their best staff to be kicked out, production facilities be shut is surprising!

even if you're not a Nokia fan it hurts to see those people being laid off especially knowing a large number were working on open source projects...Android and iOS both scare me even though i've been using them for quite somewhile (privacy issues etc.) so the loss of this last hope is heart-wrenching.

Large of them working on OPensource? eee no. It was the factorys that closed. Probadly alot more at the bottom.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
You realize share prices are much lower than before the strategy change?

You assume that shareholders saw MS as the only long term savior for nokia, I find that hard to believe honestly.

Of course the situation now is totally different, so I wouldn't be surprised if nokia/MS would announce a "merger" monday. If that happens I'm sure that shareholders were actually not aware that this was the plan all along.
Wont happen until 2013... Elop plans to hurt Nokia even more before he sells Nokia to M$.

My guess is Microsoft cant buy Nokia yet cause of more patents need to be sold to "third party"

Originally Posted by AllThingsDigital
sources tell AllThingsD that the project has been shelved, though elements of it may live on in other efforts.
AllThnigsDigital is suggesting that parts of Meltemi may survive in other products. How likely is it that the the performance optimizations made for Meltemi will be backported to Harmattan (presumably not very likely).

Nokia is also exploring alternatives for another of its development environments, known as Qt, which today is used largely in embedded devices.

“We’re fans of Qt, and we’ll continue to support it in the near term, but are being open about looking for opportunities which may be best for this developer framework,” Kerris said.
(I added the emphasis in the quote above)

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Will Nokia be allowed to start the development of a new OS before the Microsoft-Nokia contract is up? When the contract eventually ends the possibility of it not getting renewed has to be considered. I'm hoping Microsoft understands and gives Nokia the space to develop their own mid-range/high-end smartphone OS. I don't know if asking to be allowed to start development at the halfway point of the five year contract is too much to ask, yet they should at least be allowed to start when there are 12-18 months left.

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories