Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
I would say such caution is justified, texrat did point out that a cheap surface mount connector is in the N900 so such breakage is quite possible...
To clarify, texrat pointed out that the pre-production devices use a cheap surface mount connector.

I've still not seen anything conclusive as to how the production devices' ports are mounted. Unfortunately evidence so far suggests that it is still a surface mount of some type. See also: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39072

I am super paranoid about the microUSB port on my n900 now as well.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Just wondering when your microusb is plugged in, does yours wiggle(lean) to the right?
Mine does have some left/right play when it's plugged in.

Originally Posted by bgrigor View Post
Same here, This doesn't worry me so bad, I think a little bit of play here is a good thing (to prevent additional stress on the housing)

I tried applying very small amounts of pressure in the same directions to the port housing itself with the stylus and the port itself does not seem to wiggle.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Just don't take that for granted:

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...-an-n900-risk/
Did you repair it?

I'm just wondering how hard it would be to re-solder it back in.

I'm not exactly scared of using soldering irons if need be.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Originally Posted by bgrigor View Post
I noticed this the other day too & strangely, coincidence or not, I had just plugged it into a Vista machine (nothing specific about that - just to show it wasn't XP like some have noted) and the device charged, activated mass storage mode, but no drives appeared in Windows. Upon noticing that sideways movement on the port, it suddenly popped into life - the drive popped up on screen. This was sometime after plugging it in too as I spent a long time checking all sorts on the machine to work out what was going on!

That probably doesn't help anyone, but thought I'd share that potential loose connection story!

PS- I'm very paranoid with it too.

It is just a lil disappointing in terms of build quality, I know this is step 5 of 6 or whatever but the last thing I expect on any device is the charger port to break/have issues u know.

Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
It is just a lil disappointing in terms of build quality, I know this is step 5 of 6 or whatever but the last thing I expect on any device is the charger port to break/have issues u know.
IMO The step 5 of 6 argument is perfectly valid for the Maemo software. But falls flat on it's face in terms of hardware.

Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
IMO The step 5 of 6 argument is perfectly valid for the Maemo software. But falls flat on it's face in terms of hardware.
I agree, there should very rarely be hardware issues, especially this kind.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RipTorn View Post
Did you repair it?

I'm just wondering how hard it would be to re-solder it back in.

I'm not exactly scared of using soldering irons if need be.
No, I returned it to the Maemo team for investigation. Resoldering a surface mount connector could be tricky; I have experience in the field and I would still likely find it tough. Note that significant portions of the PCB pads tore away.

EDIT: I just got a kick out your ironic member name.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia

Ok no worries, sounds kinda painful if the surface mounts all ripped out.

Cheers

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty