Active Topics

Running chroot is out-of-scope for this thread - we're talking about running system(s) directly. Please, check at least first post before posting...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-prei...hf+omap.img.gz

the file cannot be found and I replaced that url in the installer with

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/1...hf+omap.img.gz

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Latest version does not seem to work with 12.04 modified to release (see previous post)

Code:
 E: Package 'openssh-server' has no installation candidate
/tmp/install-chroot-part.sh: line 45: alien: command not found

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Page 20 and reading...

unknown.obvious: I'm having trouble imagining how to include your kernel in the script. Does anyone have any propositions?

pali: I'm also having trouble understanding new U-Boot nolo atags policy (is policy the right word?). Do I have to modify the script behaviour? Right now it's:
setenv atagaddr \$init_atagaddr
setenv bootcmd 'mmc init; fatload mmc ${MMCPART} 0x82000000 uImage; ${INITRDSCR} ${BOOTM}'
setenv bootargs '${KERNEL_PARAMETERS}'
boot
Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
attached is a patch against rev 77 which just changes 3 lines..
Great, thanks P.S "gibibytes" is not a typo

Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Could you provide a .zip of the files? I can't branch from Launchpad for some reason (it gives me the message: Permission denied (publickey).
bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist.)
I can do it one time, but what about updates? I'm not comfortable with extending "bzr commit; bzr push" with additional actions. Can you provide a script with automatic upload capability?

Originally Posted by pali View Post
I downloaded Kubuntu image from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...ecise/release/ booted uImage kernel (with uInitrd) but not working :-(
Looks like we need more details...

and what is this installer doing? sorry but why to create something which create system image? this sounds like windows installation process
The installer was intended to make 11.10 images bootable while they were not. Are they bootable on N900 whithout any modification now? I didn't try it for a long time Besides that script tries some N900-specific workarounds not available in official packages yet and provides some additional options. BTW, if someone feels like doing something upstream.. just do it Over time the script became somewhat bloated.
It's all in bash, and I hope it's relatively easy to understand. If you need any comments...

ah, ok. but I think that somebody could publish working image. it is really not good idea to have installer for arm devices...

what dd my sd card? no!
Needs nemo image fixed partition? Then it is bad too! I want to have reparitioned my SD card as I want. And I want to have more OS.
So I cannot test nemo image...
We don't have any ideally working image, the whole effort is about making one And I think that for this we need anyone being able to see and understand the workarounds.
What do you propose to do with partitioning? Old U-Boot works for only with the first partition being fat FS with uImage and boot.scr. And I don't want to drop it's from "supported" options.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Maybe ubuntu could be the solution to flashing usb-less N900's. I haven't tried it but maybe it would work if we copied the maemo binary flasher from rootfs and used it booting from ubuntu. Fortunately my usb's are still in place but I thought maybe putting this idea on record here might help a poor fellow who's usb is out.
! Interesting. Other distros might be an options too, obviously. Have you added it to the USB-related threads?

Originally Posted by MastaG View Post
I can post detailed instructions for installing kubuntu but I think it's best the installer.sh gets updated for this.
So far no crashes
Well, supporting internal eMMC needs it's manual modification and therefore cannot be fully automated, right? I'm eager to see any patches but not going to use eMMC myself though.

Last edited by int_ua; 2012-05-25 at 14:04.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
pali: I'm also having trouble understanding new U-Boot nolo atags policy (is policy the right word?). Do I have to modify the script behaviour? Right now it's:
setenv atagaddr \$init_atagaddr
setenv bootcmd 'mmc init; fatload mmc ${MMCPART} 0x82000000 uImage; ${INITRDSCR} ${BOOTM}'
setenv bootargs '${KERNEL_PARAMETERS}'
boot
Please do not create your own boot script. Create proper bootmenu entry instead. I will change again internal u-boot atags passing because of upstreaming process. But format of bootmenu entry will not be changed (I update u-boot-update-bootmenu script)

I downloaded Kubuntu image from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...ecise/release/ booted uImage kernel (with uInitrd) but not working :-(
Looks like we need more details...
Problem was with bad /etc/fstab. To use other partition /etc/fstab and bootcmd must be changed.

We don't have any ideally working image, the whole effort is about making one And I think that for this we need anyone being able to see and understand the workarounds.
What do you propose to do with partitioning? Old U-Boot works for only with the first partition being fat FS with uImage and boot.scr. And I don't want to drop it's from "supported" options.
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/... has one image for OMPA3 devices, so we should have one image for N900 (or some daily image).

For other parition support, just write somewhere visible (not like "Beware of the tiger" ) what is needed to change (e.g cmdline and /etc/fstab).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
"Beware of the tiger"
Heh, today is Towel Day

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
can you please update the first post with whats working(telephony, Wifi, HW-Video etc)
See the first section, "Hardware support"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Latest version does not seem to work with 12.04 modified to release (see previous post)

Code:
 E: Package 'openssh-server' has no installation candidate
/tmp/install-chroot-part.sh: line 45: alien: command not found
Thanks Try revision >= 80, the sources.list was outdated. It also fixes links.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Page 20 and reading...

unknown.obvious: I'm having trouble imagining how to include your kernel in the script. Does anyone have any propositions?
Is this your webspace? http://people.ubuntu.com/~apachelogg...0-integration/

You could put a kernel package or a tar.gz there for the script to download. Maybe if you compile/package kernel-source on n900-ubuntu you even get armhf packages, I didn't try that. If this isn't your webspace and you don't have access to one.... things will get a bit more complicated.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unknown.obvious For This Useful Post: