Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by fidel cashlow View Post
My phone finally succumbed to this dreaded issue. Person I spoke to at Nokia seemed to be clueless about this whole issue but told me to send it back to them.

Question is I have NITdroid installed on it. Should I get rid of that? Any tips or advice as to what I should do before I send it?
I probably would just try to back up your phone contents via bluetooth or the Micro SD card...... since they would pretty much give you another phone and won't help you to back up your own stuff in the original phone...

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
So:

Dropped mine off at my local Nokia care centre - October 23rd

Had a call from them to say that they'd sent it back to Nokia - October 26th

Had a text to say I could collect my phone - November 1st

9 days in total and Nokia have replaced the handset entirely, not just swapped the mainboard.

Last edited by PhilE; 2010-11-02 at 02:14. Reason: Spelling!!!!

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Dallas TX
im writting this from my new n900, i got replacement after 24 days and today I recieved a N95 8gb by mail, Nokia called me and said that I would get a complementary phone for my trouble, I havent read this thread in a while since my phone broke, did anyone else also get a free phone?

mine went to Alabama to get fixed I beleve.

ps: It does not overclock as well as my last one, I used to go starving at 1.15 and now it wont tolarate starving beyond default clock. it takes ideal volatges up to 1.15 pretty well tho

Last edited by Dr.Marcial; 2010-11-02 at 05:06.

Originally Posted by hurth3x View Post
I too sent mine into the Alabama center aswell, they received it yesterday, I sent it in last friday. its put in a queue right now according to the status. Time will tell.Hope things go well.

Got a update on the status of my phone

Current Status Repair in Progress
10/27/10 Shipped Repaired Original Phone
10/26/10 Received
10/21/10 Pending Receipt by the Repair Center

I sent an email to Nokia requesting what was repaired, did the resolder the microusb? Was there another issue? I don't want to have to send it in again.
Was hoping for a new N900, but if they fixed the problem with the weak microusb, then I can't complain.

Nokia has email me stating "In response to your concern about the repair of your Nokia N900, we would like to inform you that our repair center replaced the charging port of your device to resolve the issue that you have encountered. In line with this matter, we would also like to inform you that there is no need for you to worry that the same issue will occur again."
I received my repaired phone on friday, quick turnaround by Nokia, and everything is working fine. They replaced the charging port or w/e, but now I can use other charges as well. A 3rd party usb-microusb pc connector works fine, which didn't work before. Seems the microusb is a different one then before, the color is different and looks/feels more snug. I did go ahead and filed down all the prongs on my charges so there is no friction on the device.
Ty Nokia.

When charging it keeps showing on the screen that the charger is disconnected and that its charging again, is this a symptom to usb port failure?

The Following User Says Thank You to confusedfella For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK, London
Originally Posted by confusedfella View Post
When charging it keeps showing on the screen that the charger is disconnected and that its charging again, is this a symptom to usb port failure?
Same problem I had recently.

I literally just went to the Nokia Repair Centre told them the USB is messing up, and the guy was like 'Yeah this is a common thing with the N900'. He collected the N900 and sent it off for repair.

By repair, he probably means replacement. Have to wait aprox. 3weeks for the N900 to come back ... I have to use my N8 as the main phone now..

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reunion Island
hi there ! two weeks ago i was telling you that my usb port started becoming broken...
well today is the day : this morning, while unpluging the charger, the port stayed on the charger ! i made a big LOL when i saw that.... then realised i'd have to make it fix =S

PC :
MSi K9N2 Diamond, AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2ghz, 2x2GO DDR2 G.Skill Extreme Pi Black PC8500, Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X, Hitachi 1To sata II

I also broke my usb port...

I sent it in Sept 28 for repairs.

Two weeks later, still no replacement phone and I made a call on Oct 14 inquiring about it.

Then I receive a call the next day about the phone being manufactured overseas and back ordered until mid November; the head manager said they would send a new & free temporary phone (Nokia N95 8GB) until I receive a new replacement for the N900.

I received the replacement N900 on October 22nd, and the N95 on October 29th, LOL.

I was allowed to keep the N95 as a gift for all the troubles (it was the third time i sent in the phone, and hopefully the last).

EDIT: my N900 was overclocked when I sent it in and cleared thru warranty.

I am babying my new n900 from now on...

Last edited by chewsterrr; 2010-11-03 at 22:41.

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
That's me a couple of weeks short of a year with my N900......and my first real problem. Won't charge, shall keep you updated with my response from our friends at Nokia Uk.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince of Nowhere View Post
Just to update everyone. I received a brand new phone from nokia. They sent my old battery back with it. The phone feels a little different but I think that's because I haven't held it in about a week. I'll let everyone know if this model is able to be overclocked over 850 or not
There's no fixed rule as to how much overclocking an N900 will take. The odds are it will work, but only testing will tell. If Nokia knew exactly which N900s could be overclocked how much, they would probably overclock them before you got hold of them.

Users should basically not care much about how much you can overclock something, since the same thing might not apply to them.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty