Notices

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Hi folks! Time for new Applications!

I would like to have a way to manage my bookmarks across all platforms, browsers and devices I use. I'm using google bookmarks now for some time and I love the possibility to mark my bookmarks with tags and manage those in a well working website across all my devices.

The website works great at the N900 and N9(50), too. But I would prefer to have a decent and fast application to access and manage my bookmarks on my mobile devices just like gMarks at Android.

Because there is currently no App for this I would like to try to create a Application myself.
I spent now several hours trying to access the google bookmarks within my application but I fail even at the beginning because google doesn't provide a API and hence also no OAuth authentification for google bookmarks. I studied the sourcecode of gMarks without success. It seems google changed something some months ago. Here is the documentation I used so far: BookmarksAPI and Google Bookmarks API Guide

Those documentation is nothing official, google seems to don't want this kind of applications and I'm afraid there will never be a API. Who knows if google decides soon to shut this thing down without alternative? It is already not very well advertised and hard to find at google.com.

Because of this I'm searching now for a alternative for google Bookmarks with the same features. (web-access, tags for bookmarks, notes, ...)
I need a well documented and open API to access the content from my future application and a Web-Access to manage the bookmarks at my desktop or to access those on a PC while visiting a friend or something else like that.

Any suggestions?

Note: I wan't to manage those bookmarks myself and access those directly online. I'm currently not interested in syncing those and store it locally.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2011-11-09 at 19:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Okay, it seems here is nobody with some experience and know-how about this topic.
Anyway, here is my current work in progress list of research:

sadly no API provided:
  • morebookmarks.com - asked via email for API support - answer: "Morebookmarks has no api. Good luck in your search."
  • vizited.com - a lot to many features, but where is the API ? - UPDATE: Got a reply, no API: "Currently we do not have any kind of API. We're still developing Vizited and adding new features and we will put your request on our list."

asked visa support page or email for third party API - no reply yet
  • deskhot.com - small private project, does EXACTLY what I'm searching for perhaps except the remarks, those are missing - but sadly I'm afraid the owner wouldn't provide a API

perhaps / undecided / where is the API?
  • connotea.org - first impression is okay but a very strong social aspect - this is clearly not the scope of my project
  • instapaper.com - good, but not really a pure bookmark organizing, more a storage service
  • blinklist.com Tested it with several browsers and at the Internet Explorer I had some very serious bugs, after reloading the page I was suddenly logged in as a different user and was able to see and edit his list - I'm scared

no option for my project:
  • zootool.com - If I wan't to sign up there is a message that this site currently only supports Safari, Google Chrome and Firefox - not platform independent enought!
  • diigo.com - I'm not really able to find a webpage on this site where I'm able to manage my Bookmarks like at google.com - I need some kind of extentions or bookmark scripts to manage it, I don't like it
  • historio.us - confusing, not really a bookmark service for me

I'm currently very frustrated. I don't know why some big company like google doesn't provide something useful like this.

UPDATE: Got a answer from vizited

Last edited by helex; 2011-11-11 at 19:05.

I'm currently giving google a second try: Link to my thread with the detailed problem

If someone Qt gifted has a idea it would be great to read a hint to get finally a solution!

This is a crossposting because I have a very similar thread in the development section - just to inform the followers of this thread:

As feared... google shutting down the first parts of google bookmarks within the next few weeks:

http://www.google.com/support/bookma...answer=2365222

Goodbye, Lists: FAQ

What is Lists?
Lists is an English-only experimental feature of Google Bookmarks for sharing bookmarks and collaborating with friends. Lists is being discontinued on December 19th, 2011.
Why is Lists being discontinued?
Google is prioritizing our product efforts so we can make things much simpler for our users and devote more resources to high-impact products.
When is Lists being discontinued?
Lists will become read-only on December 12th and will be entirely discontinued on December 19th, 2011. During the read-only period, you'll be able to change the public/private status of lists you own, but you won't be able to create new lists or edit existing ones.
What happens to my Lists once the feature is discontinued?
  • Lists that you own: All items will be saved as bookmarks with the label "MyBookmarkList". Comments will be saved along with each bookmark.
  • All other lists (including those shared with you): You’ll no longer be able to access these lists. If you want to save items from these lists, you should bookmark them before December 19th, 2011.
Yes, nobody needs today this "lists" to "share" bookmarkcollections... but I wonder what could happen with the rest of this useful service.

In my opinion a seamless integration with google chrome with web frontend to edit and access the bookmarks from everywhere with proper API for third party applications would be a brilliant addition to google docs... likewise a google notes service. (but they shutted their small attempts already down in favour for google documents - but would really everyone create a office document to write down a small note?)

Hmm... perhaps I'm to much geeky to understand our current IT world!

Tags
application, bookmarks, development, google, webaccess