Originally Posted by jmjanzen View Post
how about formally dividing the site into the tiers you're describing? and reward people for answering newbie questions by advancing them to a higher tier, where more difficult questions could be answered by the members who are tired of answering newb questions. newbies would not be allowed beyond the newbie tier until they've received thanks or something from $x newbies, then they'd be granted higher-level access and they could choose not to be bothered by newbie posts anymore. (and so on and so forth, with several, or at least a few, tiers total.)

surely this has been tried before...?
If it has, I'm sure it's failed miserably. Don't get me wrong, it's a very interesting notion, and possibly quite productive overall, but it would be really annoying to quick learners or ingrafts from other UNIX backgrounds. Or just people like me, who don't really do any kernel hacking, but would want the ability to drop in on the really interesting threads at that level. (Actually, I doubt any real kernel discussion takes place or is expected on Ubuntu forums, but the same attitude applies to other levels.)

And that sort of authoritarian slotting of people into classes rubs a huge number of people the wrong way, especially those actually involved in OSS; it might drastically prune the upper tiers, just from aversion to the concept, even though they would have been grandfathered in at an unrestricted level. On the other hand, one should never underestimate the power of the mind to rationalize authoritarianism for the sake of slotting ignorant, annoying, helpless imbeciles into their appropriate classes.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
You are right. But It seems like a tragic law that whenever a forum gets popular it becomes useless even to newbies because questions are not answered anymore and searching the forum will lead to less useful information.
It's an interesting problem that I've been thinking about for a while. I keep wondering if there is some technical solution or modification to keep forums from failing under their own signal to noise ratio. So far it seems like a good organizational system, more active moderation and branching threads help things. On this forum the thanks system seems to be a big help too. Is there some obvious feature that we're missing to keep forums from turning into howling black holes after they pass through their main sequence?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
... more advanced users favor other responses, such as "coder", "hacker", "Sith", "caffeine/sugar/starch processing plant", or "loosely-coupled cyborg"...

Hm, I didn't realize cyborgs were into loose coupling. Wonder what the offspring would look like? Guess it depends if the child gets more of the human part or machine part of the DNA.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Puppy linux is also easy to use and has an active helpful forum. I was considering 'advancing' to ubuntu, but maybe I'll flush out my issues with Puppy.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by jmjanzen View Post
(that's weird. the thanks button is missing from your post.)
That's cause we are in the Off Topic folder.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
If Maemo ever becomes popular enough people will claim it's for "Newbies." That's just the way it works in this community, people try and find a reason to try and do/be something different. If that weren't the case, then they probably wouldn't be here. Besides, the newbies are really the answer to the problem. Linux needs these people: Companies like Sound Blaster aren't going to waste their time writing and releasing drivers for their hardware for linux until they're convinced that there is a substantial market. So, it's the people that generally don't have a clue about how windows works, that try out linux and expect it to "just work" that will complain in enough numbers to get results.

To the OP: you could try looking for answers to the fix in almost any linux forum for x86 because the answer will likely be transposable to ubuntu.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-28 at 19:04.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Sarajevo, Bosnia
If I have a problem I first try to find solution on ubuntu forums, then irc, and lastly on mailing lists. In most cases(97%) I find it in forums.

Tags
forum, ubuntu