Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hi!

First of all, the idea is presented in the following youtube video, in the comments section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_1r2P-dB5c

So first of all you need a linux distribution to do this, as I'm not aware of such software that records an X-server on windows . And then a microphone is useful too (the youtube video doesn't have any audio, although recordmydesktop supports it). But the most important thing is to have some kind of X-server (I used xephyr in this), an Internet Tablet and a network connection.

So in steps:

1. Install Xephyr and recordmydesktop (ubuntu gutsy has both as packages, Xephyr's package is xserver-xephyr)

2. Start up Xephyr:
Code:
Xephyr :2 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac  -extension Composite
The following example is also available from maemo.org

3. Start up an application you want to record in your Internet Tablet/SDK emulator:
Code:
DISPLAY=[themachineip]:2 theapptorun
Replace themachineip with the IP-address of the computer that has Xephyr running. Also make sure that you execute the code in a terminal, otherwise this won't work.

4. Then start up the recordmydesktop with:
Code:
recordmydesktop -display :2 -o myvideo.ogg
5. Start demoing it and then press CTRL+C to terminate recordmydesktop .

6. Stop the app running in Xephyr via pkill or anything else via terminal in the Internet Tablet ( there will be no window manager, thus no closing X in the upper right corner).

7. Close the Xephyr window.

8. Convert the myvideo.ogg with ffmpeg if you want to display your video on youtube (or any other video hosting service):
Code:
ffmpeg -i myvideo.ogg myvideo.avi
9. Upload your video to youtube or something else.

Thats it for my part of the tutorial, feel free to ask any questions.

LoCusF