Hey guys, I just got my Nokia N900 and I love it. Only problem I have is with the wifi, I can connect to my home wifi network however when I go to the browser it doesn't load anything, it would either keep loading and show a blank page or it would say the page cannot be displayed, the internet works fine on the cellular network however the wifi doesn't seem to work. The phone has no problems connecting to any wifi network, I've tried a few different connections at work as well but it does the same thing, what can I do to fix this?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Only the browser not working? Can you ping a site from the terminal? Can you run the application manager and do an update, for example?

The more info you give the better the chance that someone can respond helpfully...

Last edited by handaxe; 2011-11-18 at 00:00.

I'm not sure how to ping, I'm a super noob with the terminal.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
It could be that your N900 gets the same IP address as another computer in your network. This mostly doesn't happen, but under some conditions it does. I had it once, and it gave the same problem as you're explaining here...
Try to manually change your IP address in the internet settings dialog.

I assume you have JUST received your N900. Well done, you are on your way to enjoying the single most powerful piece of pocket hardware ever developed.

The first thing you must do is a COMPLETE re-flash. i.e. format it back to the factory settings. I can only assume this is a 2nd hand N900 (new ones are as rare as rocking horse sh1t) and thus you cannot know how the previous owner has buggered it up.

Well the home network doesn't have any other computers, and the network setup uses automatic ip and that's what it's set on. Also i got the phone from ebay and they said it was new and sure looks new, but if i need to reset it how would i do it? And would it format the phone?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Given your newness to the device, simplest "test" is to try doing an update via the (Hildon) Application Manager. If that errors out then we know that ALL networking likely is borked and not just the browser (which is unlikely in the first place) but lets see....

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Given your newness to the device, simplest "test" is to try doing an update via the (Hildon) Application Manager. If that errors out then we know that ALL networking likely is borked and not just the browser (which is unlikely in the first place) but lets see....
handaxe right...the simplest way to find out if any connection is working is by doing update via application manager (HAM) or faster application manager (FAM)....using FAM is the best cause you can see the update progress bar in that apps....

also you might try testing your home network first...might be problem on your router...reset your router or just do reboot on it...it does help...

The Following User Says Thank You to pusak gaoq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Are you sure you received an IP address from the DCHP server on your router etc.?

Do i just run the application manager and click update? and i don't think the problem is my router as i've tried with other networks and my psp works fine with the home wifi.