Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
While a nice idea... it breaks the UI paradigm. The device is supposed to be fully usable w/one hand. This usually means 1 finger (since it takes 3 and thumb to support it in hand).

2 finger swipes make more sense not in conventional usage, but for extended usage in specific contexts.
What about a delayed swipe? Keeping you finger on the screen for aprox 1 sec. and then swipe. We could increase the number of available swipes.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I see the logic but kindly let me custom configure the whole swipe interface for a selectable one hand profile and a 2 hand profile.

Same with the layers and possibility to open a full browser window in multitask OR tabs OR layers

Why are those devices all trying so hard to control our behavior instead of offering freedom? (I mean out of the box convenience, not only freedom to hack)
The reason why you aren't given an infinite, or multiple, points of creating your own UX entry points is because that means the entire platform has to be built using all of those points - most of which cannot be analyzed, tested, nor skillfully given to developers in UX docs so that they make apps which conform to whatever *you* design for them.

Its not impossible, just unrealistic to have a stable platform with a tightly constrained physical environment on even more tightly constrained resources to do that. For laptop/desktop paradigm, sure. Not for mobile(-first) devices.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
The reason why you aren't given an infinite, or multiple, points of creating your own UX entry points is because that means the entire platform has to be built using all of those points - most of which cannot be analyzed, tested, nor skillfully given to developers in UX docs so that they make apps which conform to whatever *you* design for them.

Its not impossible, just unrealistic to have a stable platform with a tightly constrained physical environment on even more tightly constrained resources to do that. For laptop/desktop paradigm, sure. Not for mobile(-first) devices.
Not so sure. What we have is a button-less interface.

Then we create buttons with swipe , swirl, double finger swipe, single and double tap, double finger tap, etc...
Devided in clockwise , counter clockwise, up and down, left right.

All I want is to assign these "buttons" per program or interface level to actions like I would do in a flight / fps / tank combo sim or any program that allows deep customization.

Then save as a profile. Wife, toddler, left hand single hand , double hand.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2013-12-12 at 20:07.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
ste-phan, there's an application for the N9 (My Moves) that gives you a dozen or so additional gestures and lets you define actions for those. In principle the programm is designed so that one gesture starts another application (boooring), but with dbus and shell scripting I was able to define a gesture that calls a certain number instead of just launching the telephone application.

Now in principle, if (and only if) an application like the browser exposes certain features to be controlled via scripting from the outside world, all it would take is "My Moves" to be ported to sailfish and you'd have your very personal additional gestures.

(I know there's two big ifs there... but it's better to approach it from this side, I think, than to break the whole UI concept.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
When discussing additional swipes/gestures - I really miss swirl to zoom that was present in N900 browser. It was nice option for one handed use. I still can not pinch zoom with one hand when walking

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
Yes, I also think my problems relate to this.
Oh well, I'm on the same boat...err...jolla with non-working SMTP connection.

Pretty annoying and I refuse to use google as work-around.

The Following User Says Thank You to sconf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Many PCs just don't have bluetooth at all.

SFTP is out of this world for the average consumer. Have you ever seen anyone who's not a nerd use it?
And Bluetooth is too slow for large transfers, and SFTP doesn't win speed races too.

I'd really like to see USB mass storage support too. Currently I sync my music using Unison between my N9 and office machine. Granted, with a bit of hacking, you might be able to use Unison and SSH to connect over USB/RNDIS to the device, but simply hooking up by mass storage is faster and easier.

It surprised me Jolla left USB mass storage out. I really hope they will reconsider.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
When discussing additional swipes/gestures - I really miss swirl to zoom that was present in N900 browser. It was nice option for one handed use. I still can not pinch zoom with one hand when walking
I miss that too... In fact, I still use it every single day on the N900. But I miss it on new hardware.

1 step forward 2 steps back is the common denominator in the mobile phone industry.

Also missed are MicroB 's marvelous history browser and to some extend cookie control (demanded or 3rd party, reject, accept for this site), adblock plugin, click to run flash plugin, javascript control (which should have been a front page button on/off button), tab-less operation (open in new window).

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ finland
I wont be checking all pages from this topic so I don't know if this has been said or not but the official youtube app from google play works pretty good, only problem I have noticed is that you can't log in, probably because lacking google services?

The Following User Says Thank You to TrD For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post

Hypothesis:

The virtual layer by Alien Dalvik controls access to the Jolla hardware demanded by random Android applications .

I am worried that this Alien Dalvik layer acts like an Android OS that automatically says "yes, allow" on every request for data access from an Android application.

For "user convenience" AlienDalvik is trusted by Sailfish to access contact details, phone status, GPS, file system, enable network connection etc...hence the Android programs running on top of it are also trusted by default.

The question is, if XPrivacy running on Alien Dalvik would be aware of the other Android programs running on Alien Dalvik? They might as well be running in a separate "box".

I hope somebody can throw in a technical explanation to prove the contrary and show us that Sailfish is not a data grabbing playground for Android applications on the loose.

Thanks

Thanks ste-phan bring my original thoughts to the point, I failed in wording Thanks ste-phan bring my original thoughts to the point, I failed in wording
It may stay silent a little while longer about program access control center on both Sailfish level and Alien Dalvik level.

Maybe the guys that have gotten to work Play store may have better insight already.

On Jollatides there are a few more concerned people but mostly the new toy feeling will prevail.

An AACC Aplication Access Control Centre is what I need to sleep tight.

Be careful guys not to infect your Jolla by Android.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience