Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
On Jollatides pages, more than 10 suggested OHs are supposed to contain an HDMI commector, mainly for TV set or monitor. But the "HDMI connector" in the wishlist seems to reflect more what is needed than what is feasible, because of the limited capacity of the i2C interface. So, how to solve this dilemma?
Could an optical link be used between Jolla phone and the other half? No optical fiber would be needed, just put the optical transmitter and receiver so that they almost touch each other. For good external screen, TV receiver or recorder, a one-way HDMI would be needed. But for more versatile use, the optical link interface should work two ways. Thanks to a high-capacity interface, the other half could work as a versatile data + entertainment hub. In order not to drain the battery in the Jolla phone, perhaps the optical compotents would need supply power from a peripheral device, such as TV set or monitor, only when needed.

Useful references: the WiF connection between iPhone and AppleTV, and the corresponding home entertainment hubs of Samsung etc. In those system video and other data are saved primarily in the hub, and smartphones have the role of entertainment-data sources rather than video players. HDMI cables are used to connect the hub to TV sets etc.
But I prefer an optical link, which would be more safe than Wi-Fi: no way to spy or crack.
Who says the phone has HDMI support?

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Nowdays HDMI is already quite pointless for phone. In my opinion DLNA support is more than enough and newer TV's all support it. I have my media server PC connected to TV both with network cable and with HDMI. And I almost never use HDMI as the DLNA forks just perfectly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Silwer For This Useful Post:
This one should be easy to do; Other Half with an attachment for Sony DSC-QX series camera, with dedicated shutter button. I don't have one of these cameras, but hopefully they allow other apps to access it. Possibly a cutout to allow built-in flash and camera to show through. Timing the built-in flash may be next to impossible, but it could allow 3D images using both cameras.

Last edited by jflatt; 2013-10-07 at 19:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Who says the phone has HDMI support?
I did not write that the Jolla phone has HDMI support. I only referred to the list of http://jollatides.com/2013/10/03/oth...ts-prioritise/ and its comments. a kind of brainstorming of the future "other halves" for the Jolla phone. In some OHs it is natural to expect the screen of Jolla or the videos from Jola phone to be shown on a large screen. To fulfil those wishes, I asked whether the video signals and the large data flows to external hard disks could be transferred between the phone and its other half wirelessly, avoiding the bottleneck, the i2C interface. Some OHs could work like some entertainment hubs. The data is transferred with WiFi between the "video hubs" and phones of Apple and Samsung, for example. But does it make sense to use WiFi between the phone and its other half, over the distance of less than 0.3 mm? Perhaps an optical link might be better. So, I asked for comments. The optical or WiFi link would be needed just because Jolla phone does not have HDMI connector.

Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flotron For This Useful Post:
Not sure if this has been posted before but i think an fm-transmitter would be awesome if possible and/or IR blaster.

EDIT: Mentioned on the first page. Silly me.

Last edited by milmino; 2013-10-08 at 02:24.

I like that quite a bit. Camera is a bit more than stretching it, so I can do without that.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
Nowadays HDMI/MHL/Similar is already quite pointless for phone.
Can't say I fully agree, at all, especially for a ph that doesn't support simultaneous dual-band/radio or 802.11AC.

Originally Posted by Egon View Post
But does it make sense to use WiFi between the phone and its other half, over the distance of less than 0.3 mm? Perhaps an optical link might be better. So, I asked for comments. The optical or WiFi link would be needed just because Jolla phone does not have HDMI connector.
You do realise that to use this fabled optical link, the primary part of the ph would need the ability to "transmit" optically, right?
And as the official specs of the phone don't list this capability, & as they're not likely to, your idea makes little sense.
And that's not even getting into the fact that I've never heard of such a BUS for mobile SoCs, have you?

"Drools..." If only...

Exchange with Jolla on Twitter, still none the wiser ofc, lets just hope their "eyes are wide open":
https://twitter.com/JediTWang/status/387465481927405568

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-08 at 07:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
Nowdays HDMI is already quite pointless for phone. In my opinion DLNA support is more than enough and newer TV's all support it. I have my media server PC connected to TV both with network cable and with HDMI. And I almost never use HDMI as the DLNA forks just perfectly.
I'm not familiar with the latest video techniques. So I must ask you Silwer: What kind of network are you talking about? I mean concrete building blocks, such as connectors and cables. Such information would be needed for the other-half list and brainstorming of http://jollatides.com/2013/10/03/oth...ts-prioritise/ That exact information would help us figure out how to transfer high-bandwidth data between Jolla Phone, its other halves, and some accessories, such as a "Video hub" which can be kept near TV set, for example. And to figure out whether there are alternatives of HDMI.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
As has been mentioned by others in those JollaUsers/Tides articles several times...
The respective editors need to bring their entire OH list here (or start a separate thread).
Then based on what we know, users here can help determine; which are feasible, which "might" be, & which are complete fantasy.
The ones that end-up in the complete fantasy pile, can then be whittled into: "possibility for future model" & "will never happen".

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-08 at 08:51.

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo