Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Being arrested in the middle of the night by your own secret police for some minor or made up offense is a greater and more real danger than the off chance of having bombs dropped on you.
I would apply the same to any "anti-terror" legislation.

The "effective cost" of any given threat is the potential cost when the threat becomes reality multiplied by the chance of it happening.

The potential cost of being a terror victim is high. You could be killed or seriously injured. We can give it a score of 1 (on the scale from 0 to 1). But the chance of that happening is quite low, in parts per million. Let's be generous and give it 1 in 100,000, i.e. 0.00001. Multiply the two and you get 0.00001.

The potential cost of the impact of any "anti-terror" legislation (say, the "Patriot Act") is hard to quantify as it depends greatly on everyone's personal circumstances. If you run Wikileaks or are a member of Greenpeace then presumably the cost is higher than if you work as a lollipop lady. But everyone is impacted to some extent and we can assume an average score. Let's say one ten-thousandth of the cost of being killed, i.e. 0.0001. But the chance of that happening is a certainty, i.e. 1. Multiply the two and you get 0.0001, which is ten times higher than the "effective cost" of being a terror victim.

These figures are of course hugely inaccurate and, in any case, assume only averages. The chance of being caught up in a terror attack is much greater to for example airport security staff or even frequent travellers. But I hope you get the idea.

So what can the government do to push through any personal freedom restricting legislation? Quite a lot, it turns out. They can hugely exaggerate the danger of being a terror victim. Easy to do, just make sure any incident is reported extensively. Media are willing, albeit usually unwitting collaborators in that effort ("bad news sell"). What else? They can play down both the potential cost of surveillance ("if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear") and the chance of it happening ("it is targeting the bad guys, not you"). It is up to us to see through that BS.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Pichlo, what the funk are you talking about?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Pichlo, what the funk are you talking about?
He is making sense, unlike you usually do.
No wonder you don't understand him...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
He is making sense, unlike you usually do.
No wonder you don't understand him...
What the puck. Never said he didn’t. I didn’t even read that wall of text. A summary would be great! But I still wonder why he qoute his own post. That is fishy.

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-02-15 at 17:53.

What the puck. Never said he didn’t. I didn’t even read that wall of text. But I still wonder why he qoute his own post rather tan edit. That is fishy.
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Maybe 3D print date?
Yeah, a date with the 3D printer

What the duck.

What do you say when there is a word you are not allowed to say?

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-02-15 at 22:35.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
He is right you know....
the future is here...
and it is ruled by bureaucrats ....
terry gilliam was right.
"Brazil" was the future..
(rather our present now...)
highly suggested watching it.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
He is right you know....
the future is here...
and it is ruled by bureaucrats ....
terry gilliam was right.
"Brazil" was the future..
(rather our present now...)
highly suggested watching it.
Right is good, the future is good, bureaucrats are good.

Remove rights, future and bureaucrats and we are in a dangerous place.

Brazil?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Right is good, the future is good, bureaucrats are good.
Dave999, the model citizen. Who would have thunk?

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Dave999, the model citizen. Who would have thunk?
What the thunk?

Never ever encountered the word thunk.

think thunk thonk

@pichlo, was that question direct to me. Raise your hand, if not. Carry on.

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson