I think the Archos 101 will be to pwn the iPad, Dell Streak, and Samsung Galaxy Tab which are currently the three tablets that are currently receiving the most attention, while others such as Chinese manufactures and others small brand names are making tablets too. I am gong to do a comparison between the Archos 101, Dell Streak, iPad, and Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Samsung Galaxy Tab Specs and Pricing
Screen: 7inch 1024x600 tft lcd capacitive touchscreen
RAM: 512mb
Operating System: Android 2.2 with Samsung software enhancements
Processor: 1ghz Arm Cortex A8
Connectivity: Wifi 802.11b/g/n, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE) : 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
3G (HSUPA 5.76Mbps, HSDPA 7.2Mbps) : 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz, 30 pin connector
Camera: 1.3mp front facing camera and 3.0mp back camera
Storage: 16gb or 32gb plus sdhc card expansion
Kickstand: none
Pricing: 800-1,000 dollars WHAT!!
What I like about Galaxy Tab: Attractive design, Form factor, Android market support, 3g, Front Camera
What I don't like about the Galaxy Tab: Pricing way to high, proprietary 30pin connector, No kickstand, The back cam in unnecessary due to the size of device, lack of peripheral ports such as USB or hdmi, and the thing is a phone way to big to be a phone.

Dell Streak Specs and Pricing
Operating system: Android 2.1
Processor: 1ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon
Ram: 512mb
Screen: 4.8inch 800x480 tft LCD Capacitive touchscreen
Storage: 2gb of ROM plus 16gb microsd card in the box
Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, GPS with A-GPS, UMTS 2100 / 1900 / 850 MHz GSM, / EDGE 1900 / 1800 / 900 / 850 MHz HSDPA / HSUPA:HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps / HSUPA 5.76 Mbps, 30 pin connector
Camera: 5mp with Dual led Flash and VGA Front Facing Camera.
Pricing: 550 dollars locked to At&t network or 300 dollars with contract
What I like about the Dell Streak: Front Cam, 3g, Android Market, back cam perfect for the device size
What I don't like: Too big to be a phone, Limited to 802.11b/g, locked to At&t, no kickstand, no USB Host, hdmi out must be done through docking station, proprietary 30 pin connector.

iPad Specs and pricing
Operating System: iOs 4.1
Processor: 1ghz Apple A4
Ram: 256mb
Screen: 1024x768 9.7inch led backlit IPS screen
Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDRWi-Fi + 3G model also includes: UMTS / HSDPA Tri band–850, 1900, 2100 MHz
GSM / EDGE Quad band–850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz, 30 pin connector
Storage: 16gb, 32gb, 64gb no memory card expansion
Camera: none
Pricing: 500 - 830 dollars depending on whether you get it with or without 3g
What I like about the iPad: design, form factor, it isn't a phone iOs app store, battery life, 3g
What I don't like about it: lack of front cam, lack of peripheral ports such as USB or hdmi, proprietary connector port, iOs limitations (too many to mention)

Archos 101 specs and pricing
Operating System: Android 2.2
Processor: 1ghz Arm Cortex A8
Ram: 256mb
Screen: 10.1inch 1024x600 LCD capacitive touchscreen
Camera: VGA front facing camera
Storage: 8gb or 16gb plus microsd expansion
Connectivity: Wifi: 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, USB 2.0 host port, mini hdmi, USB 2.0 slave (through microusb)
Kickstand: yes adjustable
Pricing: 300-400 dollars
What I like about the Archos 101: Front camera, the only one of these tablets to have a full sized USB, one of these few tablets can do hdmi out, the price is right 300-400 dollars, adjustable kickstand, it isn't a phone.
What I don't like: no Android market or Google apps, no 3g version available, storage options could be better.
Based on pricing and specs the Archos 101 is the best of them all. I can't wait to try one. I do think the iPad, Dell Streak, and Samsung Galaxy tab are nice devices, but they are either too limited or too pricey.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-09-16 at 04:52.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Stop judging potential market success via specs or 'openness'.

That's not how the market works.

Let's not repeat the same mistake over and over.

See exhibit (i)Pad for clarification.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Stop judging potential market success via specs or 'openness'.

That's not how the market works.

Let's not repeat the same mistake over and over.

See exhibit (i)Pad for clarification.
I wasn't judging on openness at all. Many people need usb ports. I don't mean to cause a flamewar. I was just comparing for the sake of comparing. Pricing does effect people decisions. Another thing that the Archos has in favor of it the web cam a crowd pleasing feature that the iPad missed out on. I also think 500-830 dollars for the ipad or 800-1,000 dollars for the Galaxy Tab are way too expensive.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
You've already made it very clear in another thread that you are a fan of the Archos tablets do you really need to do it again in a new one?

It's very hard to take any 'comparison' serious when the person making it already has an agenda.

To start, and end, the piece with how much you favor the Archos makes it less of a comparison and more of something used to justify a preconceived opinion.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-09-16 at 04:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
You've already made it very clear in another thread that you are a fan of the Archos tablets do you really need to do it again in a new one?
While I do think Archos makes good products. I'm just wouldn't call myself a fan (at least not in the way Charbax is). I'm more a Sony fanboy to be honest.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
Quick question: Which ones come with stylus? I like to handwrite notes (the main point of a tablet for me.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jobester For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Jobester View Post
Quick question: Which ones come with stylus? I like to handwrite notes (the main point of a tablet for me.)
Answer: The ones that have a resistive screens and the ones that have capacitive screens. There is stylii support for both.

I personally prefer an active digitizer that can registers only the pen tip (and pressure and orientation), as I like to rest my hands on large writing objects rather than hovering over them. So far, no 'tablet' has this killer feature, though I recall a software library by 'Ten One Design' (think: pogo) for iOS that apparently could distinguish between the two. Here's hoping we see more solutions like this in absence of the real-deal.

Here's a really stylus for capacitive screens, and hey, it includes free shipping!
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25006

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-09-16 at 14:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
If you are going to go to the trouble of putting this together then why not take the time to get the technical specifications right, edit the duplications, correct the messed up English and qualify your statements as personal opinions and not facts.

As it stands, much your post is just sloppy, wrong and biased.

Not that I can be overly bothered to dissect all of it, but just off my head re Dell Streak

Storage: 2gb of ROM
Wrong. Storage: 1 user accessible MicroSD™cardslot (16GB pre-installed)

If you mean memory then that is
Memory: 512 MB ROM + 512 MB SDRAM + 2 GB non-user accessible MicroSD for system & applications files only
http://www.dell.com/us/p/mobile-stre..._tnt=29034:3:0,

Just out of interest it is theoretically possible to open up the casing and replace the internal 2Gb SD card with a larger capacity one of your choice, e.g. 32Gb.

proprietary 30 pin connector
Wrong. It is PDMI

Too big to be a phone
That is your personal opinion. Most Dell Streak owners use it as a phone and most would disagree with your statement. Myself included.

no USB Host
Wrong
http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/09/d...-host-otg.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=781361

Though it does require a cable or plug modification, e.g. USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin Male Adapter in the absence of a custom PDMI to USB plug. Or by using the optional HDMI Home Dock.

What I don't like: ....no kickstand,
Clearly you have a thing for kickstands so much so you mention it twice.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
You forgot the MeeGo WeTab from Germany

Originally Posted by maluka View Post
You forgot the MeeGo WeTab from Germany
Err there is no release date yet. I would have put it there if there if was on the market or there was confirmed pricing and release. I will make another comparison when more come to the market.