Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Microsoft have enter the arena with a mobile device(surface Pro) that could be a game change like apples first Iphone. At least to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jozTK...ature=youtu.be

My question is this? how will android and iOS handle the competition.

I'm not talking about the RT version of surface, but the PRO.
The RT version is like IPAD and Galaxy tab.

But the pro version. You will be able to have full desktop experiance with devsuits, real office, much more advanced games and so forth.

The only issue is the pricetag. For the first time I'm really intressted in a windows mobile device.

Will android and iOS survive this blow? at least apple have a chance to create something simulare with OSX. but andorid. It will be the poor mans tablet!

whats you take on this? Could Nokia release a real desktop experiance tablet as well?

And you can install ubuntu or any other linux OS you want just like your PC ? right? If that is true It would blow my mind!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-06-19 at 21:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
i guess when NOKIA collaborated MS... the main purpose was not the smart-phone market.. even NOKIA new they suck...

the main intention of this collaboration was to bang the Tablet Market..

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-06-19 at 19:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Windows 8 will penetrate the tablet market together with Asus, Acer just like the PC. Maybe even Samsung and HTC and other vendors are interested.

And Nokia!

Microsoft finally found a key to the mobile market and the future success..

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
well, I don't think so. Apart from iPad not one single tablet made any significant succes. And we already had win7 tablets. And long before iPad there were windows tablets/convertibles. I had one and I always used it as regular laptop. And considering all those cases with keyborad for iPad, Asus transformer and now Surface, majority still wants a keyboard.
I can see some advantages of Pro model but I think that price will be very high. And I would always rather give a 2-3 benjamins more for a 13 or 14 inch ultrabook than this.
And the one with winRT Who will buy windows based tablet only to realize that there's no apps for that. And today number of apps is everything, no matter how many of them are stupid or useless or just poor copies of succesful ones but they still counts.

I think that it will be succesful as lumia is

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Most tablet users couldn't care less for a virus/reboot/slowness prone Windows Tablet device. When they need a full blown moblie desktop they use a laptop. Now, that doesn't mean that nobody will be interested in a Windows Tablet. I just think the market is small. I is a niche device.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
this is called Evolution & circle of life

computers
desktop>>laptop>>umpc>>netbook>>tablet(x86)>>ultra book i.e laptop

mobiles
phones>>pagers/mobile>>smartphone>>mobile computers(n900 etc)>>tablet>>bigger tablet>>tablet with base keyboard(partial laptop)>>windows tablet(arm)>>windows tablet with detachable keyboard ie Laptop again

whatever path we take computing/mobile evolution will lead us to a detached screen & keyboard joined together by any system thats Laptop

immi.shk

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-06-20 at 11:54.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
who cares about Microsoft, who designed the tablet?

Why would people care about a Nokia tablet when Microsoft is allready making their own hardware that runs the same software as Nokia's? it will be like the android price/spec war all over again.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
i think a tablet needs and innovative keyboard to be useful, else you just waste your time doing simple tasks that would otherwise take you fraction of time on the computer. Current tablets dont have that, that could set microsoft's tablet apart.

by innovative i dont mean swype or any form of VKB, i mean a tangible key board.

The Following User Says Thank You to balisingh For This Useful Post:
Why do you all look at the hw level. To me the biggest and most important change is the runtime x86 and software.

This is just the first step. You just need the tablet when go to work,... Vacation... Everywhere. do you need a heavy laptop? No need..

You can install dual boot with different OS. You develop,compile,run applications . Qt as an example as well as. Net. . You have more choices than with a maemo tablet? Not. That I wouldn't love a maemo tablet. But still...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-06-19 at 21:17.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Windows 8 will penetrate the tablet market together with Asus, Acer just like the PC. Maybe even Samsung and HTC and other vendors are interested.

And Nokia!

Microsoft finally found a key to the mobile market and the future success..
I want a 5" maemo harmattan tablet not a ****ing w8 crap 10" tablet. elop will FAIL

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
just_a_fad, success!, ubertablet, vaporware, who gives a sht