Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
The Register's Andrew Orlowski has been getting hands-on with the N900 and seems to like it. Somewhat.
- http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/09...ia_n900_maemo5

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ralphb For This Useful Post:

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Thanks very much raphb!

Some of the negs:

"although typing on the iPhone is much easier than any of Nokia's Qwerty keyboards."

"It doesn't feel quite as slick at loading pages or scrolling as these rivals - while you really need a heavy site to slow down the 3GS, but my dusty personal archive took about 20 seconds to load on the N900, which felt like ages."

"For example, the purpose of double-tapping in the iPhone's browser is not merely "zoom", but "zoom to fit" a block of text. The former may require you to faff around for ages, the latter lets you get reading much faster. Has Nokia got some cultural prejudice against both reading and writing?"

Luckily, most of the above negative comments can be addressed with software update. But what about the keyboard?

After such negative comparisons, you'd think he's an apple fanboy with nothing but good things to say about the iphones. But...

"The challenge, and it's one for almost everyone, is that punters with disposal income, who are looking for a bling gadget, either want the iPhone and iPod Touch - or already have one. That's despite the fact that Apple's finest don't really excel at any one thing except music sync."

Oh, and he didn't whine about the landscape-only operation So that's a great sign!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Ah, iPhone people.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
"It doesn't support Java, but it does support full Flash"

Really, no Java?

He makes some strange comparisons:

"I envisage two major obstacles. At €500, the cost is higher than any of its predecessors, comparable to a pay-as-you-go iPhone, and twice that of an Asus Eee PC. Cheaper Android phones will offer the speed and slickness, with mobile operator subsidies. That'll be a tough battle."

Cheaper Android phones may offer the same slickness, but how are they going to offer the same screen and camera for less? It's not just the OS that defines the product category, you know...

S60 is going head to head with the cheaper Android phones. Maemo kicks Android's *** in the high end.

And the eee... isn't a phone. According to the same logic, why would I get an eee when I already have a PC?

typing easier on iphone than nokia qwerty?????

I don't think so

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
i think he never had a e71 in his hands... i find it very hard to type on the iphone...

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
FWIW, I have a 5800 and thought typing on the iPhone was hard. Everyone is probably incredibly biased towards what they're used to. Try getting the capacitive fanatics to admit that, though...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
He forgot the rabid open source community as a market :P With openmoko appearing to be a no-starter, I suspect the n900 may compare quite favorably with many android devices.