Notices

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
You are welcome.

But just for clarification, as it may could be read from Your last post:
all credits go to webhamster, who delivered the most used and loved app on my N900.
I hope, he is keeping his habit providing us with updates for geocaching.com's (bad) attitude to change their website from time to time

THX to webhamster

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
It's been quiet here for a while.

I'm running 0.8.0.7 with parser ver.14
But cannot load new maps today.
Anybody else has this issue?

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
Originally Posted by gadgetChris View Post
But cannot load new maps today.
Yay, it's working again...
Love this app

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I have been using AGTL lately a lot and I like it very much, except for some reason it seems to drain the battery dry so fast that I can only use it for a few minutes at a time.

I then noticed the program always has a very high CPU usage: even when AGTL is in the background, the screen is turned off, etc. it's still using up 25-30% CPU. I did a comparison with eCoach and it doesn't seem to have a visible effect in cpu usage when it's on background or the screen is turned off... This seems like a rather big bug, I dont think there is any reason the program would need to use up so much CPU when it's not rendering anything (ie. the phone is in my pocket)? If anyone has taken a look at the source, would it be easily possible to just add a sleep into some rendering/processing loop when the screen is off/the app is not on the foreground?

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
The high cpu use started to annoy me so I took a look at it myself. It would seem a lot of the cpu use is caused by the drawing in gtkmap.py __expose_event. This function is called once per second when the gps fix updates and does some drawing regardless if the screen is off, the windows is on the background, etc... I know nothing about gtk/hildon so I "fixed" it for myself by changing the GPS update rate from 1 second to 5 seconds in gpsreader.py. This dropped the cpu use considerably.

Another constant cpu hog appeared to be in threadpool.py. I dont know why but the thread run loop there causes a constant cpu use, I made a crappy fix by calling time.sleep(1) if the _request_queue is empty. I didnt notice this causing noticeable changes in the app usability. I also changed CONCURRENT_THREADS from 10 to 5.

With these changes, the cpu use dropped from >30% to ~3%. These are pretty ugly "fixes", hopefully the author could implement something similar but properly made

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegetys For This Useful Post:
Thanks again for a great app for Maemo!! I don't seem to get hints downloaded (I'm running 0.8.0.7) so should there be a parser update? I can of course check the link but it is not as handy as checking it directly from the AGTL cache description.

Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
Thanks again for a great app for Maemo!! I don't seem to get hints downloaded (I'm running 0.8.0.7) so should there be a parser update? I can of course check the link but it is not as handy as checking it directly from the AGTL cache description.
Blackbeard, just started the app and got a new parser update, from 27th July. (B\ut maybe this is related to the devel 0807 version of AGTL? I am using 0805.).

Looks like webhamster is still taking care of us!
:thumbsup: to You and a big THANKS !!!

Originally Posted by Kegetys View Post
The high cpu use started to annoy me so I took a look at it myself. It would seem a lot of the cpu use is caused by the drawing in gtkmap.py __expose_event. This function is called once per second when the gps fix updates and does some drawing regardless if the screen is off, the windows is on the background, etc... I know nothing about gtk/hildon so I "fixed" it for myself by changing the GPS update rate from 1 second to 5 seconds in gpsreader.py. This dropped the cpu use considerably.

Another constant cpu hog appeared to be in threadpool.py. I dont know why but the thread run loop there causes a constant cpu use, I made a crappy fix by calling time.sleep(1) if the _request_queue is empty. I didnt notice this causing noticeable changes in the app usability. I also changed CONCURRENT_THREADS from 10 to 5.

With these changes, the cpu use dropped from >30% to ~3%. These are pretty ugly "fixes", hopefully the author could implement something similar but properly made
Hey kegetys.
I also do not know much about python (expect the spelling and pronounciation ). I tried to check Your changes and found, that CONCURRENT_THREADS in osm.py did not change my CPU usage, neither did the sleep in the threadpool.py (and there is no CPU hog in the loop, as there is timeout after poll_interval (5sec). But at first I also thought so.).
BUT the GPS update interval is the one (so call of gtkmap), which makes the CPU busy. I changed the interval to 2s and I am under 6-10%) and happy

grundsprech update again!
now i notice minor errors with logfile parsing (timestamps).
just4info

edit: is there a way to use google maps (satellite view)?

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
BUT the GPS update interval is the one (so call of gtkmap), which makes the CPU busy. I changed the interval to 2s and I am under 6-10%) and happy
Hi guys, I'd like to limit the battery usage as well for this great app. But after some poking around in .py files I cannot find the place where to change this interval. Could you point out path, file, and the name of the variable/constant in the code?

Thanks!

/opt/advancedcaching/gpsreader.py, line 222

#control.set_properties(preferred_method = location.METHOD_CWP | location.METHOD_ACWP | location.METHOD_GNSS | location.METHOD_AGNSS, preferred_interval=location.INTERVAL_1S)
control.set_properties(preferred_method = location.METHOD_CWP | location.METHOD_ACWP | location.METHOD_GNSS | location.METHOD_AGNSS, preferred_interval=location.INTERVAL_2S)

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: