Active Topics

AFAIK the need for split went away because they got new HW-partners, so there's no need for "spearhead devices" any longer. Practically this means that HW business is over, no more Jolla-branded devices.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
that does not mean that they can't just slap their logo onto something from their partners or some other OEM. After all, they didn't make the 1st jolla either.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
I really want to know the future of TOH.
Is it over only on Jolla phone or will be developed by the hardware partners?

The Following User Says Thank You to Zero Six For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
TOH never even had a present, I will be really surprised it would have a future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
...they'll put all their limited resources into getting Sailfish to work on 3rd party H/W
Be nice if they finished it properly on their own hardware ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
There won't an an in-house Jolla device ever again. The original phone nearly bankrupted the company. The tablet also nearly bankrupted the company. Easy to see the trend that hardware is a bad business to be in.

Also, Jolla themselves have been clear. They are moving forward as a software/licensing company.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I really hope not.

They've got three possible hardware partners already. Leave it to them. Find another few even that aren't so crap/niche.

Spend the 12 million on software development and community/developer engagement for their moribund OS and store.
This. I think it's the only plausible way forward.

I would still love to see Jolla, or SailfishOS at least, succeed
(and with succeed I mean: not dying at least the coming few years)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
The 'official word' is they're keeping their options open.

Last year the startup stepped away from the device-making side of its business, splitting into two and saying it was focusing its initial efforts on the OS — with only a vague plan to establish another entity to continue to build devices.

“We are currently focusing strongly on software development, and licensing projects, meaning that consumer device business is not our ambition as such. However, we might of course introduce new interesting spearhead products for Sailfish OS,” Jolla chairman Antti Saarnio told TechCrunch.
http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/03/jol...sing-business/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Options are of course open, but there won't be another Jolla-device in foreseeable future, which makes perfect sense. They have some partners, so devices will be available and Sailfish needs some serious development. There's no point spending scarce resources on another Jolla-device at the expense of delaying software development. So maybe they will do it IF they get into situation where they can do it without risking the whole company again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I would like too see a real surprise, say Jas Gripen NG flying independent missions running on Sailfish OS. They should hand out few hundreds of them to developers and other interested people as well. Naturally this (handing them out) is not possible with current 12 Mil, but maybe after the next financing round...

Imagine seeing HWKBD v3 as a stabilazer on that thing? Used as a programming device for the next mission? Or Kimmoli's led display showing the clock face under the wing when it flies over?

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post: