For my N810 the right channel headphone output has died. Both of the internal speakers still work. I have re-flashed my N810 twice with OS2008. Its past its warranty period so is there anything that can be done that is easy? Since the speakers still work I assume maybe the connector is broken inside. Has anybody replaced one? Yes, I have tried more then 1 set of headphones.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by Bruce Forsberg View Post
For my N810 the right channel headphone output has died. Both of the internal speakers still work. I have re-flashed my N810 twice with OS2008. Its past its warranty period so is there anything that can be done that is easy? Since the speakers still work I assume maybe the connector is broken inside. Has anybody replaced one? Yes, I have tried more then 1 set of headphones.
I find your headphone problem to be completely unacceptable! *lol*

Well, my only advice would be to give it a good cleaning with an air canister and some peroxide. That part is an open area that is subject to all kinds of dust, debris and possible rust.

I hear stories all the time of this working on Nintendo machines.

There was even once a story where a kid's right shoulder button didn't work on his DS handheld and was told to simply blow on it and, suddenly, it started working again.

So who knows, stranger things have happened.

i have read of people fixing those jacks. i would try to get hold of the repair manual to find out how to open the case. maybe all that needs to be done is resoldering one wire.
btw., my musicplayers have always tended to develop problems in their headphone jacks before they broke anywhere else. that stopped when i began to permanently glue the phones to the jacks. the connection can still be severed with a razorblade when needed.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
You seriously glue your headphone jacks?

I always thought that maybe there was something wrong with you! *lol*

And what's up with you and razor blades?

You must be a very eclectic musician..... but I dig that!

Any song files you would like to share with us normal thinking people?

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
You seriously glue your headphone jacks?

I always thought that maybe there was something wrong with you! *lol*

And what's up with you and razor blades?

You must be a very eclectic musician..... but I dig that!

Any song files you would like to share with us normal thinking people?
well you know what those glue fumes can do for you. check out WKCR college radio on line - they play a little of everything; that about sums up my taste.
but seriously, i used to break a lot of these rinky - dink planned obsolescence audio jacks - and they're usually of lower quality than the one on the n810 - plugging in and out. use household Goop or something like it - really works.

Last edited by wesgreen; 2009-11-10 at 13:52.

Just as a followup to my original post. I opened up the broken N810 as well as my N770 and N800. The headphone connector in the N770 is different from the headphone connector in the N810. The N800 and N810 headphone connectors are similar. Unfortunately the headphone connector is surface mount soldered in 8 places and I am unable to remove it. Therefore it will remain broken.

Just as a followup to my original post. I opened up the broken N810 as well as my N770 and N800. The headphone connector in the N770 is different from the headphone connector in the N810. The N800 and N810 headphone connectors are similar. Unfortunately the headphone connector is surface mount soldered in 8 places and I am unable to remove it. Therefore it will remain broken.
Thanks for the info,
My N800 headphone connector is also broken. So i will not try to remove/replace it myself. Nokia(shop) can not give me a quote as to what a replacement headset connector would cost. The Nokia care shops keep telling me they need to ship it to the main Nokia facility to repair it. Something about level 3 repairs. I do not need a quote as to what is wrong with my N800, i need to know what it would cost to replace the headset connector. Nokia is not able to answer that simple question