Notices

I just found that Maemo mapper v3.0+alpha8 is in extras, so I decided to try it out. Downloading and starting up went fine, and by allowing GPS and network location, it quickly found my position. No configuration of repositories or so done, really nice!
But then the problems started: it found my position on the global world map, so I decided to zoom in to my street by pressing the "+" sign a number of times. When I was seeing my street, all of the sudden I got the message that the app was not able to save the map file and maybe my disk was full (maybe because I was at the max zoom level?). No choice but to click away the message, but it got me worried ... was my disk/partition really full? I was about to check using "df -k" but the maemo mapper crashed and frooze my phone, just rebooting helped.
My conclusion: the app is not stable yet (as the name suggests), and thus should not be in extras. Unless I did something wrong?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liedekef For This Useful Post:
i installed it last night and played with it for 15mins zooming in and out. no problem for me

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
imo it wasn't yet ready for extras....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
It's buggy, but it's not harmful. In the maemo downloads page, it is clearly stated as "beta" quality.

Anyway, @liedekef, rest assured: your disk is not full, it's just one wrong message. :-)

Originally Posted by mardy View Post
It's buggy, but it's not harmful. In the maemo downloads page, it is clearly stated as "beta" quality.

Anyway, @liedekef, rest assured: your disk is not full, it's just one wrong message. :-)
Well, I figured already about the beta quality, but then it shouldn't be in extras, that's why extras-testing exists imho. Any app that freezes your phone should not get into extras ... and don't get me wrong: I'm really hoping for maemo-mapper to be stable asap, I already gave up on ovi maps
And before I forgot it: really nice work so far! Didn't realize I was talking to the main developer here

Last edited by liedekef; 2010-03-10 at 21:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liedekef For This Useful Post:
I was a bit dissapointed about performance myself, compared to my n800's maemomapper. Though I attributed the slowness to downloading maps over 3G since my n800 has most of the region downloaded already.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
possibe to vote out of extras back to test.

this is slower than maps.

nice app anywayZ

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
this is ridiculous. an application that doesn't follow UI guidelines, is unstable, ... should not get to extras. and the version is alpha, not even beta.....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search