Active Topics

Dear Fellows,

Probably someone asked this once in time but I can't trace it - is there a way to set up preference of voip codecs in the integrated sip client?

The Following User Says Thank You to pishta74 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by pishta74 View Post
Dear Fellows,

Probably someone asked this once in time but I can't trace it - is there a way to set up preference of voip codecs in the integrated sip client?
Hi.
As far as I recall, codecs are negotiated during rtp session establishment. Why would you want to select one in the client?
Regards.

Thanks for the answer.
Sometimes there is only silence when I make a call. I can mosly think of some codec incompatibility on either side. Stun seems to be working. I use VoipBuster and I have read their codec preferences, so I thought I might try to set them up manually

Edit:
The "silence" only happens when I manke sip<->sip calls.

Last edited by pishta74; 2014-08-22 at 17:37.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.
Codecs are negotiated by both sides of the rtp/sdp session, that may explain the silences in sip-to-sip sessions. However, I dont know how to select codecs in the N9's SIP client...
OTOH, I have an android tablet with CSipSimple voip client and it 'talks' ok with N9 client, or with regular POTS telephone lines, this may help you to find out wether the problem is local or remote.
I use a small PBX at home with Asterisk.
Regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pasko View Post
Hi.
Codecs are negotiated by both sides of the rtp/sdp session, that may explain the silences in sip-to-sip sessions. However, I dont know how to select codecs in the N9's SIP client...
OTOH, I have an android tablet with CSipSimple voip client and it 'talks' ok with N9 client, or with regular POTS telephone lines, this may help you to find out wether the problem is local or remote.
I use a small PBX at home with Asterisk.
Regards.
I have a Siemens Gigaset 580 IP at home and my N9 talks to it (and vice versa) via SIP without any problems. Also both talk SIP->PSTN without any problems.
The described problem occurs when I try to talk to my gf, she has a Galaxy S4 - I set her up some integrated SIP client on the phone according to Samsung's instructions (yes, I've set it up to be "always online")....hm...I'll see how the codecs are setup there.

Tags
codec, sip client