Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

Regarding the Nordic bank users, as per jenix's post, I am somewhat baffled. Does that mean you guys cannot login from any random computer using any random browser? That completely defeats the whole purpose of online banking. If my bank tried to impose such a restriction on me, I would switch the bank.
most likely they can. Just like I can here. But the thing is, in order to log in via browser you need some kind of cetificate/athentification/whatever and today that is mostly in a form of an app built for iOS or Android. Days of actual USB card readers and those tamagochi like HW devices are long gone. So, I can log in on sailfish browser but first I have to generate the code on in android app and if that does not work under current AD..........

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by feedme View Post
Still no info/promise which will be the android compatibility level, 5,6,7,8...
Meaning:
Jolla themselfs don't know what version it will be up to this point

Speculating,
the anouncement alone implies they are quite confident to get any newer version running.

Hoping,
they have a newer version than 4.4 running already but are still testing with even newer versions.

Fanboy-level,
they are testing top-down, got Popcorn running but do not believe themself and can not stop testing and might fall back to Oreo if they hit a wall

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
But the thing is, in order to log in via browser you need some kind of cetificate/athentification/whatever and today that is mostly in a form of an app built for iOS or Android. Days of actual USB card readers and those tamagochi like HW devices are long gone. So, I can log in on sailfish browser but first I have to generate the code on in android app and if that does not work under current AD..........
USB card readers? HW devices? Generate 'the' code? What the...? I do online banking with three banks and none of them has any of that crap. You need three things, most commonly 1) username or login ID, 2) password and 3) some kind of secondary authentication code that you specify when you register. None of that changes in real time. You can change 2) and 3), sometimes 1) in your preferences. You can log in from any browser anywhere in the world, no proprietary app necessary.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
sounds very insecure. And most definitely it's not the way how most banks do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
USB card readers? HW devices? Generate 'the' code? What the...? I do online banking with three banks and none of them has any of that crap. You need three things, most commonly 1) username or login ID, 2) password and 3) some kind of secondary authentication code that you specify when you register. None of that changes in real time. You can change 2) and 3), sometimes 1) in your preferences. You can log in from any browser anywhere in the world, no proprietary app necessary.
Hee, seems you in da UK-land have pretty different concept of banking than what we are used to here in the north... Are you still using checkques?

What we in Finland are using is pretty much how @kinggo explained, except that luckily we can also still use the old method of TAN slip codes. (Lucky for me since otherwice I'd be as pissed as my Swedish colleagues who only can generate codes via Androd devices...)

A TAN slip is a piece of paper that your bank mails to you, it contains a list of usually 100 or 250 one-time codes to use with banking.
In addition to that you of course need the account number and password.

The problem is that also the finnish banks would like to move to the Android-App-created BankId system, because it is cheaper to them than mailing the new TAN slip to people few times per year.
I am fearing that day with dread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Are you still using checkques?
Oh yes, absolutely! It is not uncommon to use a cheque to pay for e.g. school activities. Cash or cheque, but since you pay by sending your child to school with an envelope with the money in the bag and you do not get a receipt, a cheque is a better option because it is tracked.

There is at least one bank that uses the key fob type devices mentioned earlier. HSBC. Unsurprisingly, it is also known as the most awkward and user unfriendly bank under the sun. I used to have an account there once but moved away as quickly as I could. I have 2p left on the account and have not been able to close it for over 10 years. They make everything as difficult as possible.

Last edited by pichlo; 2018-05-06 at 15:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Huh, in Belgium we get card readers where you have to enter a couple of codes every time you want to log in to your account or do a transaction, the card reader then displays a code which you have to enter on the website. I've always assumed this was the same worldwide!

I'm aware most or all banks now have Android/iOS applications, but I have no idea how they work. At least I presume they don't require the card reader.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
in Denmark we dont accept cheques.
Oh and we have this key called nemID - which is 2FA for almost any online activity in DK public services, banks. Its also used for identifying who you are (by verifying against registered PI in central database).
you get nemID by default on a paperslip, but can also purchase an eletronic token.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
I think there has been a misunderstanding on how bankid is used in Sweden (and perhaps other nordic countries too). Yes, you can log in to your bank with bankid, but in most cases you can also log in to your bank with a key fob like device or similar. The problem is that the bankid identification has been adopted by many other online services in Sweden and there bankid is the only option.
* All services provided by the government
* Stock/bond exchanges
* Credit card providers (not banks)
* Insurance companies
* Retirement fund companies

You will be blocked from many important online services unless you have bankid and changing bank will not solve the problem since the other bank also provides the same bankid. We need an open standard for online identification.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tealc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
Aren't we a bit off topic? Now it turned to be a comparison between banks
Do you think that updating Alien Dalvik will improve the additional power consumption derived by using it? I hope it doesn't turn out to be the opposite, adding more features.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post: