Active Topics

Hold your breath - Nokia seems to indeed go Android

...without Google Play Services but some combination of Microsoft/Nokia services.

image source: @evleaks https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/420933979655512064/

If you're eager to get an officially sanctioned glimpse at Nokia's rumored Android cellphone, you may not have to wait long. Sources speaking to the Wall Street Journal claim that Nokia will unveil the low-end handset, currently nicknamed Normandy, at Mobile World Congress later this month. The tipsters haven't shed new light on the hardware itself, but they support beliefs that the device's customized interface will revolve around Microsoft and Nokia services while stripping out Google content. If the leak is accurate, Microsoft may be in an awkward position once it closes its acquisition of Nokia's phone business -- it might have to sell a phone using the very platform it has been trying to destroy.
source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/10/n...y-at-mwc-2014/

and

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...74893734151208

I wonder if G will have to pay MS for each of those sold, that would be a cruel joke

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I wonder if G will have to pay MS for each of those sold, that would be a cruel joke
Google doesn't pay MS, the manufacturers do.

Ok, so in the case of the nexus devices that would be google but in this case that would be nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaiKo For This Useful Post:
It's ridiculous - is Nokia aiming to "hate" every 2nd device they produce? They weren't marketing N900 as they should, because of Symbian. they weren't marketing N9 and Pureview, because of Elop. Now, they're going to produce Android device and instantly hate it due to Microsoft partnership... Tradition, eh?

For sure, they're leading company of planned obsolescence, nowadays. Fortunately, N900 and Maemo devices live on their own, thanks to wonderful communities. I don't think that owners of more closed solutions - if i get the "customized android" phrase right - are going to be so lucky.

Lesson for customers? Stay away from new Nokia products.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Well, that is easy since there are not really that many "Nokia Products" any more, it's all Microsoft products from now on. (It might still say "Nokia" somewhere on small print but that's just legacy...)

I am fairly confident this is not going to materialize, sorry.
It's all vapors, I do not understand why people keep on spinning these things up?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
That is just your (also mine ) realistic and reasonable view.

But after what I have learned from that company (since N95) they have their own view. And this thing may come true in this or that shape.

BUT:
who cares?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
For sure, they're leading company of planned obsolescence...

/Estel
There wont be Nokia mobile company in month or two, so staying away from Nokia phones is quite easy. You can't buy any Nokia devices.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It's all vapors, I do not understand why people keep on spinning these things up?
Lets wait till MWC. There has been way crazier things happening in the mobile business.
I still remember before Rover/XRX-51 announcement how I got all the hate around here for calling it a mobile phone rather than a tablet.

Last edited by tissot; 2014-02-11 at 06:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I tend to agree, imagine the humiliation for MS if these comprehensively outsold their own Windows Phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
There wont be Nokia mobile company in month or two, so staying away from Nokia phones is quite easy. You can't buy any Nokia devices.
The announced collaboration with HTC is quite interesting though, don't you think?

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
The announced collaboration with HTC is quite interesting though, don't you think?
Is there a collaboration? From what I understand, and I might be wrong, Nokia and HTC just agreed to end their litigation over patents.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janitor X For This Useful Post: