Active Topics

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
When I first heard it was likely Apple would be producing a table, I thought, "I'd buy that." But with the likely high price, the persistent poor behavior on the part of Apple regarding the app store, and the inevitable tie to iTunes (which performs poorly under Windows and not at all on Linux), the obvious choice for me is the Always Innovating Touchbook.

From what I've read it is the best of both worlds: a touchpad and a netbook. For almost every apple tablet mockup image, there is a corresponding *real* image of an AI Touchbook. Plus, it runs Linux and is thus has a longer lifespan than something that runs Windows.

I hope the AI Touchbook becomes as successful as the netbooks!

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
My favorite is the Tommaso Gecchelin design. I'd love to see that (as a Mac netbook ... or as a Linux one).

The general idea seems to be a MacBook Pro with no keyboard.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I bet they're going to try bring appstore to desktop. Whether the device use full osx or mobile osx, i bet they're going to take that first step here.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I bet they're going to try bring appstore to desktop. Whether the device use full osx or mobile osx, i bet they're going to take that first step here.
So... A pretty, closed source package manager, with a large percentage of applications that require payment, running in iTunes?

Last edited by wert613; 2009-08-09 at 13:30.

I could not wait for apple so I loaded osx on my hp mini 1000 netbook. actually runs pretty well. typing from it right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to philwil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by philwil View Post
I could not wait for apple so I loaded osx on my hp mini 1000 netbook. actually runs pretty well. typing from it right now.
Is wi-fi working in the osx?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i have been more or less expecting apple to attempt to move the iphone style gated environment onto the desktop ever since the app store opened.

think of it this way, take a imac, put a cortex under the hood, put a variation of the iphone os on it, tie it to itms and app store, complete with parental control tools, price it below the imac, and you have the perfect present for a worried parent to give to their kid(s).

over time, apple can then phase out osx on the non-pro products. and if they tie the appletv into the same ecosystem, they have a set top box ready to go.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
price it below the imac.
How low can apple go though, feasibly.

Tags
apple, concept, tablet