Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
i have to agree with the Battery Live Problems i have to charge my n900 any night to have it ready for the day. However i just tried to switch off 3g i hope this will bring more livetime.

Another Problem is that you cant use it right with one hand i just want to be able to make a call with one hand but also the screen locks in landscape so i have to use 2 hands. So i am not able to use the portait Phonefunctions..

best regards Crown

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crown77 For This Useful Post:
Hi guys its my firts post so hello nice to meet you I just want add from myslef that Im quite satisfied with the battery life in my N900.
I bought a week ago from Carphone Warehouse (Vodafone) and after getting it out of the box I charged it fully 3 times for 12 hours. Now I can easily get 24 hours of heavy use.

I go to work @ 9:30 pm, from 10 pm til 2 am listen to music on headphones. 2-2:30 (lunch) i browse net on 3G, some youtube + a few tries in Angry BIrds. then from 3 to 5:45 i listen to music and go home. At home while bathing I have a cigarette + 15 minutes of news via Wifi. Then I go to bed, check for any new repos, and still have 1-2 bars of battery easily. Last wkend I didnt go to work, charged it from empty on saturday morning and it lasted me till monday afternoon. Oh yeah I did some photos sat evening.

Got brightness @ 2, no system sounds, no haptic, always on 2G+Skype on, only @ night i switch for 3G for 30 minutes. Wifi scanning off. No animated widgets on main screen (like fbook or rss). I also try not to wake it up too much when its suspended (like checking time or sth).
Of course all of this dont include texting and calling (around 15 txt/20 mins of talk).

I think its not the problem with the device but how YOu use it. I know it;s a Internet tablet which is meant to stay all time online but hey dont expect miracles from such small battery...

I have idea that can help you - get a desktop charger with spare battery (Ive seen a set of charger + 2 batteries on ebay for around Ł8). That will make Your life easier.

Sorry for length of this post and for my grammar but English is not my native language.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
Good post - nice that it hasn't deteriorated into the usual WE HATE NOKIA or SELL THE 'DEVICE' THEN type arguements

Heres my 2 cents....

As a rubbish comparison....my laptop is a brand new dell and I get 3 hours out of the battery with wifi on....

With proper manual management I can scrape a day out of the N900 tops (read as 16 hrs) (and yes the phone should be able to do this...). Things like auto disconnect of 3.5g internet connection would help.

No Portrait mode - a right royal pain when texting or using the phone (need address book with ABC search like in when in landscape mode)

I have recently found 4 bars on the display brightness helps no end over 5 bars. Also make sure GPS is disabled.

I've got a 2nd battery and keep a car charger in glovebox and a usb line at work so I can top it up.

Compare the battery life now to my N95 8GB and its not far off as that also need charging after about 16hrs!

I'm hoping and seeing things are improving. Theres a way to go but its moving in the right directions

Last edited by bonerp; 2010-01-20 at 08:40.

Well just to compare I had HTC Touch HD (3.8" screen), Nokia E90 (4" screen), N95 8GB, E71, SE P910i etc.. You get the idea gone through many of the latest powerful smartphones some with large screens and all lasted at the very least 2 days with light to moderate usage. If I'm lucky I can get 24hrs with the n900 on the same usage.

BTW, I do like most things about the n900 except the terrible battery life.

We end users shouldn't have to work out how to fix battery life because of bugs.

Last edited by TooMuchMoney; 2010-01-20 at 08:46.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
hi everyone! I might have misread, but what's this talk about 900mah? Mine has 1320mah and right now I'm on the second day of use without recharge. Allways connected and I'd say I'm a real heavy user. I bought a spare battery to go with the phone because I thought it would have poor battery life, but I have yet to even charge the spare one. I for one am REALLY satisfied with the battery life!

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
What we really need is Nokia Energy Profiler!!!

http://store.ovi.com/content/73403FE...40050A87326D82

Shame this is S60 only...

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Something which can affect battery life of any phone is signal strength. If you're in an area with poor or no reception your battery will run dry much faster. This is because your phone will ramp it's power up searching for the network, or trying to keep hold of a weak network. On a device like the N900 which will have a high drain already, something like that can push it over the edge.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dtrouton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
I am rather curious how some people, especially heavy users get good battery life. I get the kind I expected. If I stay at home with wifi, it's not empty at 22, but I slap in in the charger anyway. If I'm on 3g a lot I have to charge it at 18 or 19. I get up at 7:15, my day lasts about 19 hours.

Of course it depends on usage, but I'm a pretty heavy user. I'm always online with skype/gtalk/ovi and have witter updating every 15 minutes, 3 email accounts uppdating every 30 minutes, almost constantly chatting, messaging, mailing, tweeting, browsing, playing freeciv or the dig, reading and posting on tmo, chatting #maemo, listening to music, locally or on spotifty or streaming from my server. I talk on the phone for about 30m each day.

I'm actually pretty impressed that i sometimes get a whole day out of it. I find that battery life depends on net traffic, where traffic over 3g takes much more battery than wifi, and having device screen on eats a little. CPU doesn't affect it that much imo. GPS kills it fast.

I carry the charger adapter in my pocket, have a charger in my cars and have the original charger by the bed, and a couple of old nok chargers in other places (by sofa, by computer, at work), so I can charge the phone if I know I will be requiring lots of battery later.

I'm not sure whether you think this good or bad battery life, but it works pretty well for me, but it would be nice to not have to think about it at all, but I think that's a utopia with my kind of use.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ ireland
I got up at 6:00 am this morning and switched on the device. Now it's 9:33 and it's already dying on me. Just to mention: it's the second charge (i just had the thing 2 days), and I've been browsing, listening to some music and rss-ing, not more than an hour total. Availibility was ON and email is checked every 1 hour.

is it faulty? because this is just not acceptable

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
disabled msn & google talk, gained about 100% battery life.

I think battery life is very impressive. E71 lasted much longer but it didn't allow convenient web browsing, quake 3 etc.

yesterday took my device from charger 6:00, MfE syncs from 8:00 every 15 minutes, a little browsing, installing software etc (>100mb dl via 3g) and 19:00 got first battery low warning when I had played games about 1,5 hours (gweled, just started with Quake 3). Continued playing for a while and after that googled assasins greed 2 puzzle instructions etc and 23:15 device shut down because of empty battery....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search