Looking for some advice on how to narrow down and hopefully cure the reasons for almost daily reboots. My n900 is of North American, week 51 stock, bought in Japan. I've installed some development apps like Easy Debian, emacs, etc. My 8GB memory card is formatted ext3. I have flashed firmware 3.2010.02-8.

Most frequently I get a sw_rst restart when leaving the phone plugged in overnight to the charger and connected to my ad-hoc WEP wifi network. Sometimes I will be running a download overnight, sometimes not, but in the morning the phone has almost always rebooted with a bootreason of sw_rst. Once it rebooted right in front of me when I tried to do a large-ish rsync from within Easy Debian.

Yesterday I turned off wifi with the wifi switcher app before going to bed, and in the morning, unusually, it was still running with no reboot. However, just now it again rebooted, this time with 32wd_to as bootreason.

Needless to say, this is very frustrating. Any advice on how to narrow down or fix the problem?

My bootreason and /var/lib/dsme/stats files appear below. Any advice greatly appreciated.

/proc/bootreason:

32wd_to

/var/lib/dsme/stats/lifeguard_resets:

/usr/bin/mission-control : 1

/var/lib/dsme/stats/lifeguard_restarts:

/usr/bin/osso-connectivity-ui-conndlgs: 1
/usr/bin/hildon-home: 2
/usr/bin/hildon-input-method: 2
/usr/bin/clipboard-manager: 1
/usr/lib/sapwood/sapwood-server: 1
/usr/bin/ohm-session-agent: 3
/usr/bin/hildon-sv-notification-daemon: 1
/usr/bin/mission-control : 10
/usr/bin/hildon-status-menu: 17
/usr/bin/hildon-desktop: 23
/usr/bin/camera-ui: 30

Last edited by Otaku; 2010-05-15 at 07:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to Otaku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
It is most propably hardware issue. You should give it back for repair. The downside is that you will be without n900 for quite some time. I'm waiting 4 weeks now...

Well I noticed there's a memory leak reported for ad-hoc wifi, which I'm using:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5712

Hope this will be fixed in the next firmware upgrade. I'm not ready to send my new device back to Nokia just yet...

The Following User Says Thank You to Otaku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Bootreason is set to sw_rst after kernel panic or oops. You can check /dev/mtd2 for additional info. For more information you can also check bug 6334.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post: