It was the days when Razr was famous ... THIN phones were a "fashion".. then came the N90 (112 x 51 x 24 mm).... followed by all the Nseries which were also big... N93, N95.. by big I mean some were thick....

Now, HTC is making sleek phones like the HD2, nexus one, and Nokia releases the N900.... The keyboard is not an excuse to make it large- see the moto milestone/droid....

Do they make it big on purpose? or "thick"??

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Maybe it's to compensate for an extremely small...wait, I don't want to be banned

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
It was the days when Razr was famous ... THIN phones were a "fashion".. then came the N90 (112 x 51 x 24 mm).... followed by all the Nseries which were also big... N93, N95.. by big I mean some were thick....

Now, HTC is making sleek phones like the HD2, nexus one, and Nokia releases the N900.... The keyboard is not an excuse to make it large- see the moto milestone/droid....

Nokia make all sizes of phones - they've a range unequalled by any other provider. Yes, the N900 is very chunky, but personally I prefer that.

i understand its very chunky.... wouldnt it be better if they made a few more space for a bigger battery, squeeze the hardware inside.....??

its a problem all/most smartphones suffer from: battery

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Then again they also make sleekers like E72. its the best looking phone ever. Nokia 6700 is also thin tough and sleek. I hope the next maemo device is sleek

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
RAZRs paid for that thinness with very high hinge failure rates.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
They make big phones for people like me. I actually think the n900 is a bit too small.

People who want thin small phones can choose from other Nokia products, or HTC products, or Motorola products, etc.

But there are very few vendors offering as powerful a solution as the n900. Power takes space. That's technology.

The Following User Says Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
Nokia releases the N900.... The keyboard is not an excuse to make it large- see the moto milestone/droid....

If I recall the Droid's keyboard isn't that great feedback wise since it's flat. Though the keyboard itself doesn't explain the N900's size. It's likely also the N900 has more hardware inside (TV out, etc..)

Though I think a tear down by tekseven also showed that there was still space that could've been shrunk.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

well unless you don't want the 5mp carlz zeiss lens on the n-series then i might be slimmer. Like on the samsung behond on t-mbile it has 5mp looks slimm compare to the n95 but the camera is crappy compare to the n95.

but nokia do make slim phones ... check out the e-series (e71,72,55 so on) ... no one can top that build quality

Alot of devices these days are big, id prefer a big phone that can do all than have a slim device that lacks important things.

Having had N80, N95, N97 etc the N900 isnt too big, but for people coming from a crappy dumb jave phone then it will seem huge.

Tags
infinitesimal, not for metrosexuals, small-penised designers