I have put the following into my /etc/systemui/systemui.xml after seeing this thread to add a 'Shut Up.' command to the power buttons menu. It might reduce the touchscreen-awkwardness when everybody is looking at me trying to silence my phone

Code:

<menuitem priority="600" name="Shut Up."> 
  <callback service="com.nokia.xterm" path="/com/nokia/xterm" interface="com.nokia.xterm" method="run_command" bus="session" autostart="true">
  <argument type="string">/usr/bin/amixer set Master 0%</argument>
  </callback>
 </menuitem>
It's not very fast and also leaves an XTerminal window open.
That's because I am way to tired to (have the desire to try to) figure out how to translate this to the format used in the xml.
I think I'll keep it in there for now, though, so it might be of use to someone else as well...

Obligatory word of caution for non-powerusers:
Editing your system files is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. You might brick your device, quite badly. Also, you need to be root to do this. (If you didn't know that, don't do it )

Last edited by velox; 2010-02-25 at 19:12. Reason: grammar is hard...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Yeah the YouTube one has got me a couple of times, quite embarrassing, though I'd guess far less embarrassing than if it was youpo...... well anyway.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
This is really embarrassing on behalf of maemo developers. Should we make bug report or maybe have a little brainstorm session about what is the right thing to do (even we know how all the other phones and devices work but lets have a nice little chat about principles and many many different point of views from developers and lots of conversation.....saatanan tunarit*) :P

*Ignore this, Stupid finnish joke.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ottawa, CANADA
to add an additional wrinkle to this discussion, i would like a mode where im and email (4 + 2) notifications are silent but the phone would still ring. this is so i could have the fone on the bedside table and be woken only by fone calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to tape_ape For This Useful Post:
maybe theres a file somewhere that controls what makes a noise and what vibrates? i mean theres one to control the led, and the vibrate style..

Ps.. can you tell im a noob? hehe

The Following User Says Thank You to Psy-Clone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
the phone alarm also rings in silent mode (i used to use vibrate under my pillow so as not to wake anyone.)

The Following User Says Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:

Tags
hands, trembling