Just curious, but are there any cell phones that have modular radios?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But the singular path that Nokia went down was an all-in bet with the fourth largest US carrier, a smaller screen (I hated that decision on announcement) and then they make it to where you had to either go to their website to purchase, horrible experience or go to one of their two Nokia flagship stores - which got closed down, and they didn't even try to really improve their position in the market or get the word out that they had a phone that offered freedom.
More like the only choice, more than likely. Fact is, T-Mobile is probably the most tolerant carrier of unlocked phones. Even so, just about all the phone carriers want control over the handset, which is kinda the antithesis of Maemo. As others have said, the telecommunications industry sucks in the US, and the Europeans would have a hard time playing the US game. (As the sale of T-Mobile shows.)

As for getting it, I bought mine off of Amazon. It wasn't that hard.

But the end results are the same. Nokia is in a pickle. Let's see what decision they pick next and see how well it plays out.
Nokia was in a pickle long before the N900, nor was the N900 supposed to get them out of it. For example, letting Symbian get old and decrepid and having no strong plan to find a replacement.

People may hate that they tried to retrofit Maemo as a phone OS and the deal to combine with Moblin, but the silver lining is that it might be a better fate for the OS overall. Fact is, I don't know if I see the tablet efforts being more than just a sideline for Nokia. A pet project to see what they could do in that area, with little to show for it corporate-wise. Personally, I wasn't interested until they did release it in phone form.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Just curious, but are there any cell phones that have modular radios?
Not to my knowledge... but they could have been first. But they should have at least thought about multiple versions.... just in case.

As for getting it, I bought mine off of Amazon. It wasn't that hard.
Consider yourself lucky that you didn't go through hell that's called nokiausa.com - even my bank advised against using them ever again - I had to call my bank, let them know that a charge from something vague named cellphone charge was coming through, then I had to three-way to Nokia USA (website) then I had to fight for my refund that they promised I'd get.

And think about it. Amazon.com - did you touch, feel, or lay eyes on an actual model before you bought it?

I personally rarely buy anything electronic that way. Doubtful I'll ever do that again.

Nokia was in a pickle long before the N900, nor was the N900 supposed to get them out of it. For example, letting Symbian get old and decrepid and having no strong plan to find a replacement.
Who amongst the average or fanatic Nokia fan would say otherwise? If you came out and said that Nokia was in a pickle, you got booed, hushed, thrown into the corner and beaten.

People may hate that they tried to retrofit Maemo as a phone OS and the deal to combine with Moblin, but the silver lining is that it might be a better fate for the OS overall. Fact is, I don't know if I see the tablet efforts being more than just a sideline for Nokia. A pet project to see what they could do in that area, with little to show for it corporate-wise. Personally, I wasn't interested until they did release it in phone form.
We differ. After three Maemo devices and the tablet being a better product than the phone in my opinion... the phone bits are horrible.

And yet again, only one updated version of the software - Skype for instance - that came with the phone on release. Nokia has to keep companies that bundle their software interested in that platform going forward.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Long Island, New York
I get that, but what kills me is that they didn't think about making an option for the folks that could have benefit the most and given them a choice. It's not like they don't make phones that work on AT&T. Switch out the radio.
The n900 was the first Nokia phone (that I knew of) that ever ran on T-Mobile's high speed data frequencies. My e71 and e90 for example could only ride on 3G with an AT&T SIM....the n900 seems like one deviation...maybe I'm wrong but I dont believe I am

Lover of Music, Technology & Travel
If I'm not logged in, I'm probably jetsetting to a city near you...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Swimm12984 View Post
The n900 was the first Nokia phone (that I knew of) that ever ran on T-Mobile's high speed data frequencies. My e71 and e90 for example could only ride on 3G with an AT&T SIM....the n900 seems like one deviation...maybe I'm wrong but I dont believe I am
Nokia 5330 was released on T-Mobile's frequencies in the US, I think.

Nokia 5330 was released on T-Mobile's frequencies in the US, I think.
Nokia 3350, 373, 5330 ( E only), 6301( E only), 6680 ( E only) and now astound ( C-700?)

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Swimm12984 View Post
You're right. When I was in the (now closed) Nokia flagship store in NYC, the girl told me that the only T-Mobile 3G phone they stocked at the time (March 2010) was the N900.

I did think, at the time, that it was strange for Nokia to peddle their wares with very little choice of carrier. But it's an old story. Nokia + USA = crapsville

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox