Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Just remembered a lecture on University... The lecturer was quite frank about it: customer is not always right, most of the time customer is dead wrong. He just doesn't know it yet, so worst thing to do is to assume customer actually knows what he needs... :P
then that guy might be in trouble. then he assume he knows better than the customers. did you ask him that?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Just remembered a lecture on University... The lecturer was quite frank about it: customer is not always right, most of the time customer is dead wrong. He just doesn't know it yet, so worst thing to do is to assume customer actually knows what he needs... :P

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Steve Jobs ? [edit] Mmpf too late...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
1) No.
2) Yes. Some patches will fail to re-apply after the upgrade. See the Patchmanager thread.
Thanks for that. Everything I'd read pointed to it, but I hadn't seen it specifically stated (I may have missed it).

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
then that guy might be in trouble. then he assume he knows better than the customers. did you ask him that?
[offtopic]
It was lecture about information systems and development. Point was, when customer says "we need this and that system like this and that", it's not really certain that they have thought it through. It's very common that over time systems used in companies get bloated when new systems are built for every single "this would be nice" thing. My experience in the field also confirms this observation, so when customer comes with certain request, the easiest way to generate cash in the short run would be just to deliver them what they ask but to question, improve and iterate would likely to be better for the customer, especially if customer just plans to use IT to digitalize old processes instead of looking into changing and improving processes to better capitalize the possibilities of technologies (so development of new IT systems should not concentrate on computer stuff but on work that is to be accomplished as whole). It's not like he knows the best outcome beforehand, but more like it's his job to actually dig out the real motivations and needs behind initial request to be able to deliver the best outcome for the customer. In that regard the argument was valid. Just not likely the one that pleases "I'm the customer so I'm the KING of everything so give me what I want NOW"-people.

Maybe some if it can be true in consumer space also.
[/offtopic]

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Italy
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
I have the same issue with web pirate as I do with the jolla browser, I can't leave a video playing and go to another tab while that video is playing in the background.
OT:

Hi,
I'm WebPirate's developer, I saw this post and I'm registered in order to reply to you

You asked the video playback in background, and today is available in upstream

Currently this feature is very experimental, but it will be available in the next version.

End OT

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to Dax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dax View Post
OT:

Hi,
I'm WebPirate's developer, I saw this post and I'm registered in order to reply to you

You asked the video playback in background, and today is available in upstream

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0226122534.jpg

Currently this feature is very experimental, but it will be available in the next version.

End OT
Hello, that is simply awesome, this is a feature I've missed sorely from mobile platforms. If you have any kinda of donation link please put it up.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Italy
I saw the donation's notification, thanks!

Today, the implementation is complete: now every video is played inside its tab, you can clone the repo and compile the browser yourself or wait for the next version (usually I release it nearly once a week)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
BTW, it is apparent that Jolla's approach to many things mirrors that of Nokia (R.I.P.). Not just customer relations, but also e.g. the fact that some apps' icons do not come in the apps' installers but presumably in some global "here be icons" package. So Jolla keeps reinstalling Tutorial on my phone but not the Tutorial icon
Doing such theming globally means that if a "custom" build is desired (say, for a different manufacturer who wanted their own custom look), the whole thing can be done centrally, in one location.

It also means that changing look and feel globally (as has happened with icons a couple of times before the current appearance) is a lot less painful, because you just swap out everything in one package and you're done - you don't need to land changes to a bunch of different places.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Doing such theming globally means that if a "custom" build is desired (say, for a different manufacturer who wanted their own custom look), the whole thing can be done centrally, in one location.

It also means that changing look and feel globally (as has happened with icons a couple of times before the current appearance) is a lot less painful, because you just swap out everything in one package and you're done - you don't need to land changes to a bunch of different places.
Global themes are OK. That's what ambiences are for. But sticking applications' icons in a global theme makes sense only if you consider those applications an integral part of the OS. Jolla clearly considers Tutorial and about half a dozen others a part of the OS - which is why they do not provide a UI way of uninstalling them. We might argue whether it was a right decision but that's for another time. This is about the icons.

Separating the icons from the apps and putting them in a global "theme" - as well as separating the apps' setings from the apps and putting them in a global "Settings" application - and doing it for some apps but not for others - introduces an unnecessary coupling as well as inconsistency. This is bad for maintenance and confusing to the customer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rocks, not again!, tags suck!, yes again!