Notices

Originally Posted by shin View Post
I tried installing the browser-switchboard by downloading the .deb and installing through the application manager.. For some strange problem ( installation freeze) I had to restart and uninstall. After this, my attempts to reinstall fails with this msg:
"Unable to install Browser Switchboard".
It sounds like you're running Diablo? Try installing the package with the Application Manager. When it fails, select Tools->Log from the menu, save the log, and put it somewhere where I can look at it and figure out what's wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
sounds like its launching microb directly from commandline or something then, as anything using the dbus way should get whatever you set in the switchboard settings.
I considered making /usr/bin/browser launch the Browser Switchboard default instead of MicroB, but then there's no standard way to launch MicroB from the shell. Do people have a preference for how /usr/bin/browser should behave? Does anyone care about launching MicroB from the shell?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
Hmm. Does running "maemo-invoker browser" from the shell bring up MicroB? Does running a symlink named "browser" pointing to maemo-invoker bring it up? If neither of those works, I'll have to think of a different way of starting MicroB.
Figured it out. Fremantle has a thing where it will preload programs into memory using maemo-launcher so they can stay resident there. The thing is, this behaviour is controlled by entries in the application's desktop file. Since /usr/bin/browser has been replaced, maemo-launcher can't do its stuff. Turns out that MicroB relies on itself being resident.

I did this:
Commented out "X-Maemo-Prestarted=always" and "#X-Maemo-Prestarted-Priority=7000" in /usr/share/applications/hildon/browser.desktop (not sure if this is required, mind you).
Ran, as user: /usr/sbin/dsmetool -t "/usr/bin/maemo-invoker /usr/bin/browser.launch"

MicroB loaded up as normal.

Doing the above, replacing -t with -k will close the browser.
Doing a system() or g_spawn_*() should work fine, but libdsme is open too if you wish to look at its (and dsmetool's) code.

Thanks, looks nifty -- going to have to think about how I want to integrate this, though (keep two copies of the code? #ifdefs?).
Your call... I'm rather incompetant when it comes to GtkTables which is why I stripped it out...

Many thanks to you and xiojason for this lovely program. It's a must when you end up using Tear much more than you do MicroB...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I did this:
Commented out "X-Maemo-Prestarted=always" and "#X-Maemo-Prestarted-Priority=7000" in /usr/share/applications/hildon/browser.desktop (not sure if this is required, mind you).
Ran, as user: /usr/sbin/dsmetool -t "/usr/bin/maemo-invoker /usr/bin/browser.launch"
A few questions:
  1. Can you check whether or not modifying /usr/share/applications/hildon/browser.desktop is actually required? (I'm hoping to avoid having to replace or modify another file.)
  2. Does passing -o instead of -t to dsmetool work for launching MicroB? (The description of -t suggests that it could reset the device if the invocation of the browser fails...)
  3. Does the "browser" process remain in memory after the last window is closed when MicroB is launched using dsmetool? Does it continue to answer the D-Bus methods for com.nokia.osso_browser (e.g. clicking on links in other applications brings up a MicroB window)?

Thanks!

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
I had the same problems on the N900. When the app was installed, microb did not open anymore.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
A few questions:
  1. Can you check whether or not modifying /usr/share/applications/hildon/browser.desktop is actually required? (I'm hoping to avoid having to replace or modify another file.)
  2. Does passing -o instead of -t to dsmetool work for launching MicroB? (The description of -t suggests that it could reset the device if the invocation of the browser fails...)
  3. Does the "browser" process remain in memory after the last window is closed when MicroB is launched using dsmetool? Does it continue to answer the D-Bus methods for com.nokia.osso_browser (e.g. clicking on links in other applications brings up a MicroB window)?

Thanks!
There appears to be a problem with this method, too: it only works once per reboot...

Does browser-switchboard do any manual starting/stopping of browserd?

1. It would appear not.
2. -o does work, yes.
3. Haven't been able to check yet, sorry.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-12-29 at 09:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
There appears to be a problem with this method, too: it only works once per reboot...
As in, even if you close the browser and kill off the process with dsmetool -k, launching MicroB again doesn't work?

Does browser-switchboard do any manual starting/stopping of browserd?
Only if browserd isn't already running -- if "pidof /usr/sbin/browserd" gives you a PID, browser-switchboard shouldn't attempt to start or stop browserd.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
It sounds like you're running Diablo? Try installing the package with the Application Manager. When it fails, select Tools->Log from the menu, save the log, and put it somewhere where I can look at it and figure out what's wrong.
Thank you Steven676.. I would love to have this Browser switchboard working to read RSS feeds with Tear..
Yes, I am using Diablo on my N810. Please find below the log contents:

Code:
hildon-application-manager 2.1.19.1
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://repository.maemo.org diablo/free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_extras_dists_diablo_free_binary-armel_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
/usr/bin/dpkg-deb -f '/home/user/MyDocs/browser-switchboard_3.0-1_armel.deb'
/usr/bin/dpkg --install '/home/user/MyDocs/browser-switchboard_3.0-1_armel.deb'
(Reading database ... 34177 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking browser-switchboard (from .../browser-switchboard_3.0-1_armel.deb) ...
dpkg-divert: cannot open diversions: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing /home/user/MyDocs/browser-switchboard_3.0-1_armel.deb (--install):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /home/user/MyDocs/browser-switchboard_3.0-1_armel.deb
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: libtelepathy-glib0 0.7.0-0osso2
apt-worker:   /var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_rtcomm_dists_diablo_free_binary-armel_Packages
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: libgalago-common 0.5.2-0osso8
apt-worker:   /var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_rtcomm_dists_diablo_free_binary-armel_Packages
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: libgalago3 0.5.2-0osso8
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: libtelepathy2 0.3.1-0osso2
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: libdb4.2 4.2.52+dfsg-2
apt-worker:   /var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_extras_dists_diablo_free_binary-armel_Packages

The Following User Says Thank You to shin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
I think I solved the issue.. The problem was with

Code:
dpkg-divert: cannot open diversions: No such file or directory
I seem to have lost my dpkg 'diversions' file somehow.. And I fixed it with
Code:
touch /var/lib/dpkg/diversions
Thanks for your help though and your efforts to create this very useful application

- Shin

The Following User Says Thank You to shin For This Useful Post:
Meanwhile, I've updated the GUI to be more Fremantle-friendly; diff here: http://slexy.org/view/s2JL7ye01p
Integrated -- sorry for the delay. This will be in 3.1, along with a couple of small bugfixes.

Before then, though, I'd like to fix launching MicroB in Fremantle -- as I don't have a Fremantle device, I'm dependent on others to help debug this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, default, microb, opera