Notices

Thanks guys! I've been struggling lately to find reasons to make a decision to replace my N900 with something else, now it is pretty much impossibe

Anyone knows if it is possible to icrease heap space for a midlet? Having difficulty with the live traffic as the app tends to run short on memory when it's enabled and it gets turned off automatically.

Edit: OMG, street view works too!

Last edited by Val Demar; 2013-01-01 at 11:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Val Demar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Very nice, thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Makassar INDONESIA
Originally Posted by Val Demar View Post
Thanks guys! I've been struggling lately to find reasons to make a decision to replace my N900 with something else, now it is pretty much impossibe

Anyone knows if it is possible to icrease heap space for a midlet? Having difficulty with the live traffic as the app tends to run short on memory when it's enabled and it gets turned off automatically.

Edit: OMG, street view works too!
hi val! happy new year

it seems you have technical knowledge of java better than myself.

so for increasing heap space, i suggest you contact davy directly as creator of PhoneME (all credits goes to him as i've always recited)

Last edited by semdev01; 2013-01-02 at 05:15.

I poked around and couldn't figure out how to pass max heap size to cvm through runmidlet, maybe there is a cleaner way but I ended up using the full command line for the Exec property in my googlemaps.desktop file, notice the -Xmx parameter which now sets max heap size to 24m instead of default 12:

Code:
Exec=/opt/phoneme/bin/cvm -Xmx24m -Xbootclasspath/a:/opt/phoneme/lib/jsr234.jar -Dmicroedition.profiles=MIDP-2.1 -Dmicroedition.location.version=1.0 -Dsun.midp.library.name=midp -Dsun.midp.home.path=/opt/phoneme/midp/midp_linux_fb_gcc -Dcom.sun.midp.mainClass.name=com.sun.midp.main.CdcMIDletSuiteLoader sun.misc.MIDPLauncher -suitepath /opt/phoneme/googlemaps.jar -jadpath /opt/phoneme/googlemaps.jad -1 com.google.googlenav.GoogleNav
With this value I couldn't trigger the low memory condition which used to occur fairly soon after enabling traffic and zooming in/out several times. In theory this may help to speed up the app somewhat as the garbage collector doesn't have to run full sweeps as often.

Last edited by Val Demar; 2013-01-02 at 08:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Val Demar For This Useful Post:
Dang, can no longer run the app. It attempts to show the Terms and Conditions screen on launch and then craps out with a "serious error" message. Anyone else has this problem?

nope, mine runs fine

Weird, I've installed a couple of apps since I was able successfully run it last time. Uninstalled them and it didn't help. Do you remember seeing "terms and conditions" screen? I don't, even if was shown initially it is unclear why it is being opened again. Maybe it stores a file with persistent settngs which is now corrupt. hmm.

T & C screen occasionally appear but the maps run just fine (btw i don't make a change to google.desktop file)

I removed my changes from the desktop file but no use. Wondering if yours will stop working the next time you see the T&C screen.

Is it possible that some of the components that cvm depends on got replaced with other versions because I installed some apps which broke cvm (java vm)?