Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Ever worked at a bar or club? TMO now feels like after the lights have come up, everyone is outside hailing a cab or being sick in the gutter, and there's one or two stragglers scanning for last-ditch opportunities.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
TMO FTW. Besides, I have a feeling that the N9 won't be all that welcome at the MeeGo party (or should that be 'wake').
LOL! N9 is needed for Meego community. The forum activity has infact raised since developers got N950 cause with discussions about apps etc...

But yes meego.com is not that fun place. But TMO also sucks imho.

to much repeating...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tekki View Post
Out of morbid and bored curiousity, could you elaborate on what you don't like?
Compare the two. Here there's a past of openness, people that helped out people in many, over the top ways. I thought I once had bricked my N810. Had a couple of folks help me behind the scenes, didn't even want my thanks. They were just happy to help.

I've had epic arguments with Textrat, Zerojay and a few others... and in the end, they kept their cool, stayed adult and we've come to respect our differences and likenesses.

I've actually had Reggie contact me directly when I was seriously offended by a racial remark that I didn't agree with one bit. Now that's class.

There? It's clinical... almost verboten (forbidden) to talk about much more than just MeeGo. Have a discussion, it'll get looked at, but not commented. Quim decreed that that place was to be for developers only... and it shows.

The discussions, while easily parsed if you've written one line of code seriously - they're just cold. No warmth. No history. Just a bunch of privileged folks with N950's toiling away to see the fruit of their efforts on the Nokia N9.

That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't hit in the same way as a bunch of folks happy to just have a 770. Or a N800. Or a N810. From the N900 down, the community declined into a group of folks that didn't believe in certain things (N900 didn't sell well, let's see that argument hold a flame against how it's "the most perfect piece of GNU/Linux in your pocket ever released" types of arguments).

Ultimately, that site seems to be more of one mind... all stepping in one direction. Here, the entropy is part of the background noise that makes this place.

I don't do well in clinical, boring places. Reminds me of a padded cell. I'd rather be part of the crazies running the asylum.

It's different. If anything, it's a difference that I can't embrace. And I base that difference on being an ITT member first. Then TMO. I have an account there at MeeGo.com, but I have like 4 posts.

That's 4 too many in my opinion.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Compare the two. Here there's a past of openness, people that helped out people in many, over the top ways. I thought I once had bricked my N810. Had a couple of folks help me behind the scenes, didn't even want my thanks. They were just happy to help.

I've had epic arguments with Textrat, Zerojay and a few others... and in the end, they kept their cool, stayed adult and we've come to respect our differences and likenesses.

I've actually had Reggie contact me directly when I was seriously offended by a racial remark that I didn't agree with one bit. Now that's class.

There? It's clinical... almost verboten (forbidden) to talk about much more than just MeeGo. Have a discussion, it'll get looked at, but not commented. Quim decreed that that place was to be for developers only... and it shows.

The discussions, while easily parsed if you've written one line of code seriously - they're just cold. No warmth. No history. Just a bunch of privileged folks with N950's toiling away to see the fruit of their efforts on the Nokia N9.

That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't hit in the same way as a bunch of folks happy to just have a 770. Or a N800. Or a N810. From the N900 down, the community declined into a group of folks that didn't believe in certain things (N900 didn't sell well, let's see that argument hold a flame against how it's "the most perfect piece of GNU/Linux in your pocket ever released" types of arguments).

Ultimately, that site seems to be more of one mind... all stepping in one direction. Here, the entropy is part of the background noise that makes this place.

I don't do well in clinical, boring places. Reminds me of a padded cell. I'd rather be part of the crazies running the asylum.

It's different. If anything, it's a difference that I can't embrace. And I base that difference on being an ITT member first. Then TMO. I have an account there at MeeGo.com, but I have like 4 posts.

That's 4 too many in my opinion.
Soooo... what? MeeGo lacks a diversity of opinions and types of people, right?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Exactly. And no community can flourish without diversity IMO.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Exactly. And no community can flourish without diversity IMO.
It's an ALL-DEVELOPER UTOPIA! YAY! No end-users, no complaints, no criticism, no input.. just development!

Kind of reminds me of the Golgafrinchans:

The planet Golgafrincham creatively solved the problem of middle managemers: it blasted them in to space. Golgafrinchan Telephone Sanitisers, Management Consultants and Marketing executives were persuaded that the planet was under threat from an enormous mutant star goat. The useless third of their population was then packed in Ark spaceships and sent to an insignificant planet.

Of course, the remaining Golgafrinchan population was then wiped out by a virulent disease contracted via unsanitary telephones.

In MeeGo's case, however, it might end up a far less dramatic death-by-consumer and platform-atrophy. If it only sells to developers, because developers are the only ones talking, it's not likely to be manufactured or supported by hardware vendors for very long. Treat customers and end-users like an unwanted "dumb" class, and you too might die off like the Golgafrinchans.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I would say it's Nokia's view of what Meego.com should be is what lacks diversity.

I'll put it out there... the person they have in charge of "marketing" in the US is about as clear as mud on any of his communications. Being vague and indifferent and/or aloof does not make you mysterious. To a group of rather intelligent people asking rather intelligent questions, you look rather snarky and dismissive.

Or worse.

Regardless, instead of belly aching about what Meego.com is to me, my statements are more about what I'll not be doing there since I'd rather do it here.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I wish there was a thank button in this thread. Gerbick, I'm at all with you. End-users, amateur coders, technophiles should have a place to meet with developers, linux freaks and corporate guys. In the last 6 years, ITT/TMO has been blissed by such variety and has been both fun and a way to learn something for everybody.
I can't find such a mix in the other forums. Maybe it's been a one-shot, serendipitous combination, catalyzed by the Nokia Internet Tablets, which won't repeat untill another innovative, un-specialized device family will show, putting together different people who do not do that for money.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
LOL

Guess meego.com will remain a friendly place - judging from who'll not be there
Attached Images

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I wish there was a thank button in this thread. Gerbick, I'm at all with you. End-users, amateur coders, technophiles should have a place to meet with developers, linux freaks and corporate guys. In the last 6 years, ITT/TMO has been blissed by such variety and has been both fun and a way to learn something for everybody.
I can't find such a mix in the other forums. Maybe it's been a one-shot, serendipitous combination, catalyzed by the Nokia Internet Tablets, which won't repeat untill another innovative, un-specialized device family will show, putting together different people who do not do that for money.
To be honest--maemo'org's flaw was that Nokia's management weren't here to communicate and to read opinions even in the BEST of times.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
LOL

Guess meego.com will remain a friendly place - judging from who'll not be there
Eh? I can't read you... what did you say?

Tags
goodbye nokia, meego.com blows, tmo 'til i die, winding down