Active Topics

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But I thought the N900 was a pocket computer? Upgrades should be part of the computer philosophy, not just marketing terms to sell their product.

Computers are upgradeable typically.
And how does this relate to my statement?

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
This might be true for the PC market, but not (yet) for mobile market.
What new hardware features do you think new phones will have over the next year that current ones do not?

What hardware capabilities will new software over the next two years depend on that aren't already standard fare?

A bit slimmer, a bit faster, and a bit more memory are all that comes to my mind.

Multi-touch, compass, GPS, HSPA, superb screen, accelerated 3D and video... all that was new but seems to be standard fare now.

My point, which I didn't say clearly, was I think the burst of new hardware features *which is relevant to what you do with the devices, which apps you can use etc* happened over the last few years and may have reached a plateau for a while, so that hardware improvements will be in specifications rather than features. I'm expecting the user-visible innovation to be in software from here for a couple of years.

But maybe I lack imagination. Do you think there are substantial imrovements in hardware that software to come soon will depend on?

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
What new hardware features do you think new phones will have over the next year that current ones do not?
For once: Power.
Second: POWER.
N900 is heavily underpowered to current standards. That's why I replaced it.

In the future I foresee HDMI output as a standard. Better storage (something along SSD). Docking stations.

I wouldn't dream of features my mobile "phone" has today a year before, so it's hard to imagine the future. But the pace the mobile market moves this days surely left N900 far far behind. 2 years behind.

I am using a 3 years technology old laptop right now and it suits me just fine. But N900 is just lacking power and features so badly that it annoys me. Especially seeing the devices currently hitting the market.

I do agree that the development rate of mobile devices will slow down in the upcoming year or two. This will be the point to start demanding pure software upgrades. But for now, devices designed half a year distance are just a generation different. And there is no business in supporting last-year-model.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by HughF_UK View Post
Typical bbc not doing their research properly
As much as I hate to see the BBC fawning over iPhone and Android products they're correct when they say it's the first time full Flash has been made available on what they term a "mass sold device" - the N900 doesn't fall into the category of "mass sold", it was and is a niche product.

The thing I find most disturbing about the BBC coverage of mobile phones is that they completely ignore Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo, and of course Nokia. If there were any doubts about the relevance of Nokia and their products, just look at the BBC technology coverage - some may see the wall-to-wall coverage of Apple, Google, iPhone and Android as favouritism by the BBC but the reality is they're simply covering the technology that is making the news and the technology that is being bought by ordinary people, ie. they cover the technology that matters and from a news point of view Nokia is largely irrelevant these days.

For once: Power.
Second: POWER.
N900 is heavily underpowered to current standards. That's why I replaced it.
With the Streak's SnaapDragooon. You planning to slap FroYo on it aren't ya.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
And how does this relate to my statement?
When you said "It may be true for the PC market" I used that term in your statement, you know... the PC one... to mean personal computer.

And the advancements you were implying on the PC side should be applicable to the pocket PC, you know... the N900.

But they're not... are they?

Again I don't see how your answer relates to my question.

Me: There is still more value in hardware upgrades than software upgrades on the mobile platform.
You: But a pocket computer should be upgradable.

Me: How your answer relate to my statement?
You: Some story what PC means with sarcasm between the lines.

I see no point in continuing this conversation, because we are clearly talking different languages.

In 6 months we should have a fully functional NITDroid 2.2
I am really looking forward to it. If only they can get 3g included soon, that will stop me into looking at android phones for now and just use that for the time being until gingerbread comes out.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Those flash videos was stuttering a lot more than they do on my n900.. For a phone that is a year newer that is pretty bad

<joking>

well i guess people or developer are no anymore intersted in n900, to bad for i just baught this phone.

well i will just use for internet not for phone. for phone it become to complicated, for people like, example, my contatc list has my phone and my gmail, yahoo hotmail and skype people in one list, which make my list like 300 people, in which i have about 90 calling people and to seach those people give a hard time.

second thing i cant save list on my sim card.

i was think may be i will flash it anroid 2.2.

easy debrian is too slow and i dont want to over clock for that, i was think if we can install puppy linux via chroot. not a tech guy, i wish i knew most the stuff.

it been 4 month i since move to linux stuff, still in the learing stage.

well meego is no coming that is for sure.

when is maemo 6 coming? does anybody know