Active Topics

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I am just am user and can't criticize a technology I'm not smart enough to evaluate... but in my ingenuousness I prefer to have a chance to enjoy Flash if I want than being protected by it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Laughing Man: lol, he doesn't want to make a point. All he wants to do is to make money by being the lesser evil (in that particular case). Btw, I wonder if google's theora push can make it an alternative in html5's video implementation?

Personally, I'd feel the web would be more neutral if I don't need to install specific 3rd party proprietary plugin to enjoy contents from it. Especially for something as prevalent as video streaming. On the other hand, sure, I guess you can rationalize that Adobe has done their homework and positioned themselves smartly to enjoy such monopoly now.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

It's more that Jobs' argument isn't as strong when what he's arguing for is seen as substituting one monopoly (Flash) for another (H264). Especially since Flash is already positioned in most if not all browsers, while the future (HTML5) is already causing divides. Like Wikipedia and Firefox refusing to license H264.

I think everyone could get behind Jobs' argument if he embraced a standard codec that everyone could use without having to pay licensing fees. Imagine how much faster we would be moving from Flash to HTML5 then.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
A sample - HTML5 browser game. How does it run for you?

http://www.kesiev.com/akihabara/demo/game-tlol.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
@LM: Yeah. But no one would mistake him as an opensource champion. I wonder if he has made any arguments in favor of (specifically) opensource in the past? All I can remember is his DRM open letter against the music industry which was pro-consumer.

I don't know enough about the process of html standards creation and all the subtle elements considered for it to comment about the selection of h.264. I'd imagine it's a broad enough standard that there would be sufficient representation from the OSS side and smaller players which would be precluded from the h.264 selection, that if there had been a better alternative (at the time) than h.264, we'd already have a giant petition or some such against it.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Bottom line is that Apple can't compete on hardware. They want to make their computers and phones super thin and still expect them to run well. I own 3 macbook pros. They all overheat and have had major hardware problems. My 18.4" Core i7 Toshiba doesn't get hot because it's thick enough to have good fans and since I bought it 6 months ago, I've never had any hardware problems.

I had an iPhone before my N900. Apple sees Adobe as competition in the casual gaming market. There are tons of freely playable online games that my kids play on sites like agame.com. On the iPhone there's an app for each of those games and Apple gets a cut from it's sales.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
Hover mode is certainly not perfect. But it DOES allow me to do things I couldn't on my iphone.
Flash on n900 is also far from perfect. But it DOES allow me to do things on some sites which is impossible on the iphone.

If these two features degraded my normal web experience in any way then sure. I'd agree with steve. They should be removed. But they don't. Flash can be blocked with a simple download(I'll admit there should be an option for it). Hover mode is just there. If you never use it you won't even know it's there.
This is the basic flaw in steve jobs arguments. Even though he may be right about flash. He's wrong about the big picture.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tenkom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't know enough about the process of html standards creation and all the subtle elements considered for it to comment about the selection of h.264. I'd imagine it's a broad enough standard that there would be sufficient representation from the OSS side and smaller players which would be precluded from the h.264 selection, that if there had been a better alternative (at the time) than h.264, we'd already have a giant petition or some such against it.
The problem with h.264 is the big licensing threat hanging over it.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-04-29 at 18:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The problem with h.264 is the big licensing threat hanging over it.
Was Ogg/Theora a sane option during that selection process? I wonder why it wasn't seleccted?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
A sample - HTML5 browser game. How does it run for you?
Well, the title screen is nice enough, I suppose, but "PRESS A TO START" seems to be a lie.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, apple, flash, h.264, html5, irony, jobs