Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I'm having trouble following you. It sounds from your last post like you can boot from flash but your earlier post sounds like you can't. If you're trying to reflash, first question I have is: What happens when you're attached by USB to your Windows box and use the standard Nokia flashing utility?
Nothing. The USB cable icon goes off and it enters into the flash menu. Since there is not external card, it boots into flash only. I want to reinstall the Factory boot menu....

The Following User Says Thank You to BoredOOMM For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by BoredOOMM View Post
...Factory boot menu....
There is no such thing.
From the best I can gather, you were booting from a bootmenu that allowed you to choose booting from your MMC. This somehow failed and you removed the MMC and now the bootmenu stayed but you were NOT allow to choose MMC boot and it defaulted to flash boot. Please confirmed the story before the house doc making diagnosis and suggestions

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
There is no such thing.
From the best I can gather, you were booting from a bootmenu that allowed you to choose booting from your MMC. This somehow failed and you removed the MMC and now the bootmenu stayed but you were NOT allow to choose MMC boot and it defaulted to flash boot. Please confirmed the story before the house doc making diagnosis and suggestions

bun
That is correct. The boot menu remains and NOTHING is on the MMC card.

How to best get the device to recognize USB and then allow a new flash of either 2007HE or 2008 HE is what I am asking.

From an earlier tip, I found the Panasonic Utility to erase the MMC card corrupted and did so from Windows. This box I use is a Linux box.

I believe by holding the HOME key down I have entered the flash mode. It is a very fast on and off of the icon.

Last edited by BoredOOMM; 2008-05-12 at 06:33.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Helsinki
any suggestion for partitions on 16Gb sd card?
14,500 and 0,500?

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I found this by accident...
when prompted to partition answer with this: /dev/mmcblk0p1: 0,999999,6
It will reply back that 999999 exceeds the maximum and your maximum is xxxxx. You then have another try to set the first (fat) partition.
Subtract the size you need/want from what you have available and replace the 999999 with that value.

*Use 9999999 if you have a 1TB card who knows maybe someone 8 years from now looks at the thread.

Now, what we really need is a good guide on setting partition sizes. Since the N800 and N810 come with 256 (i think), then 400 or 500 is plenty. If you plan on installing KDE, you will need 2300 (i think is the current suggested size). I see Open Office is installable and needs 1300 and maybe another 500 for swap file space. I think even the larger 'normal apps' like Canola and GCompri max somewhere under 100 with all the plugins. This also assumes you don't have a lot of document files or they are stored on the first/fat/accessible from PC partition. Are they assessed any faster on the linux partition?

PPS. Some of the guides say to make the first partition ,0C some say ,6. It mostly doesn't matter since they get reformatted latter in the process, but which is more correct?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would love a partitioning script that lets you partition your card with several partitions, doing all of the grunt work for you in terms of actual numbers. So far, all of the guides and scripts assume you only want two partitions. What if you're like me, and want four? Also, I never got any responses from this post. Shouldn't we be starting at the 4MB mark? And why 0C (FAT32 LBA) instead of 0B (FAT32) as the cards were originally formatted?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Advertisement.....................Milhouse cloning script
Have NOT done this cloning for 3 months, just received my Patriot 8G miniSD for my N810, I went straight to this thread on #292 and re-familiarized myself and finished the cloning in less than 10 min. Yup, from opening the card, and physically inserted to N800 (see below) and cloning and up and running on my N810 in less than 10 min! Now, what is the point? Bunanson is a genius, Bunanson is smart, Bunanson is great....these are well known facts, , we do not have to keep repeating it and is not the main point of this post. The whole idea is, once you did it, the second time and the the third time etc, will be like making copies from your CD, it is totally automated as long as one has not removed/deleted files from your tablet. So, if you have to spend, say, 3 hrs
to make it cloned successfully the first time, and if you count on getting at least 3 more upgrades in the future, your actual cloning time should be divided into 4 times, i.e., 45 min each.
Advertisement....................Milhouse's cloning script

I did this one slightly different, I would like to jog it down, in case I have to do it again and there are so many different combinations, int/ext SD, N800/N810, etc, the more versions, newbie can just pick the one fit their system and copy the whole process without any modifications

This is a cloning of N800 in internal SD and use on a N810 system. I have more installed apps on the N800 than the N810, that is why.

Bootmenu installation, http://examplified.net/guide/Nokia_7...ting_from_MMC/, perform steps 6,7,8,9 and then 13:

Type

sudo gainroot
cd /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/
tar zxvf initfs_flasher.tgz
cd initfs_flasher
mv bootmenu.conf.n800.example bootmenu.conf #or choose your own one

Close all applications, and disconnect from internet. Then type:

./initfs_flash

This will ask you several questions, here is what I recommend (type what's in bold):

backup? no
remove extra stuff? yes
found, do you want to add it to initfs? yes
ready for flashing this image? yes
Press enter to reboot device

Press enter. Boot from internal flash as we haven't cloned the system yet on to the MMC.

Reboot
sudo gainroot
chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --set-root-device ask:mmc2 #pick your own choice
__________________________________________________ _____

A Patriot 8G miniSD card. Successful without using LLF, see here for details, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16067
__________________________________________________ ______
Prerequisite already satisfied, see beginning of thread, e.g., getting setup/installed becomeroot,wget,e2fsprogs,http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#initfs etc done.

N800 running 2.2007.51-3, a 8G Patriot miniSD/SD adpater inserted as internal card, the one one has to open the battery compartment to get to, /media/mmc2, NOT the one behind the kick stand, /media/mmc1.
xterm/sudo gainroot
umount /media/mmc2
sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -uM
0,5400,0C (This gives 2.4G for KDE; if no KDE, use 0,7200,0C)
(return)
(return)
y
reboot

______(start from here, step 7 of thread #1)_________
xterm/sudo gainroot
cd ~/bin
./nupgrade.sh wipe
"Using...ext2fs
Continue? (YES/no) : " YES
it runs for 5+ minutes and ends up with
Committing updates and Unmounting filesystems
Done
/home/user/bin #

No error messages.

reboot, boot up from mmc2 i.e., int SD, partition 2.

Now, you can then do the FAT formatting
xterm/sudo gainroot
mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1
reboot

enjoy,
Edit: need to adjust partition for Debian installation, follow myself in this thread, partition/script done in 5 min. And now boot up as expected. Dont you love it?
bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-20 at 03:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
I have a question. I have a 2gb card and a 16gb card. Would it not make more sense to use the 2gb card as the internal, and the 16gb as external if dual booting? That way I could hopefully just let the 2gb card alone, not bother with partitioning it and just use it for the os/apps and the 16gb for my stuff/data. What am I missing?

Has anyone written up some somewhat simpler instructions on doing it THAT way?

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by heelio View Post
I have a question. I have a 2gb card and a 16gb card. Would it not make more sense to use the 2gb card as the internal, and the 16gb as external if dual booting? That way I could hopefully just let the 2gb card alone, not bother with partitioning it and just use it for the os/apps and the 16gb for my stuff/data. What am I missing?
<snip>
If you use Map, the default included app it wants to save the maps to the internal drive.
On my n810 I split the internal .44gb ext2/1.5gb FAT.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
If you use Map, the default included app it wants to save the maps to the internal drive.
On my n810 I split the internal .44gb ext2/1.5gb FAT.
Actually not true. I have maps on the external. The app will look for them!