Active Topics

Notices

I wrote Knots for myself almost two years ago. It's a sort of a wrapper between MPlayer on device and VLC on desktop computer. VLC 0.9 was just recently released so I thought I could now release this to others too. It's not perfect or bug free, but it should somewhat work. I've only tested it with few different setups so I'd really like to get some feedback about it. More info at:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots

Outdated, more info here.

Last edited by ukki; 2009-07-10 at 23:34.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
As I wrote earlier, it works wonders on n810, just don't expect the HD-quality in the stream. But man, it's easy to setup and run, plus the seeking works immediately, you don't have to wait for the whole stream to complete, it's just awesome!

Wow, what an overwhelming response I guess I should have named it SuperMediaViewer3000+ or something. I'd like to hear the horror stories too, but judging from the views this is not something people are interested in. Oh well.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Nope, someone is interested (me). I have to find the time, you understand. Keep up the good work :-)

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Well, I didn't notice the original announcement, and haven't tried it yet, but I'm definitely interested, I'll see if the required version of vlc is easily installable on my vdr headless machine.
How does it cope with a channels.conf with more than 7000 channels?
edit: I mean, does it retrieve them in batches or, like mobilevdr, tries to read them at once? (mobilevdr dies due to this problem, actually the fault is in the python class it is using, but it dies nevertheless)

Last edited by luca; 2008-10-11 at 09:21.

The lack of response may partly be because it isn't clear from you post how it compares to other streaming options, and it sounds a bit like a unpolished quick hack (maybe that isn't the case but that was my initial thought).

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
It's quick (to install), it's far from being unpolished. If you ever wanted to watch videos on your tablet, I'd highly recommend Knots.

It's the only way of video streaming I have tried, but my impression from the other method discussed here is that you'd have to manually start streaming of one particular video on the PC first and then you can watch it on the Tablet. The difference is that with Knots you can request any video from your PC/Mac to be streamed on demand (now with WorlTV99 streams too). Oh and with Knots you only have to use the command line once to set everything up.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
It's the only way of video streaming I have tried, but my impression from the other method discussed here is that you'd have to manually start streaming of one particular video on the PC first and then you can watch it on the Tablet.
That's not true. Things like mediaserv (on Linux), or Orb etc (on Windows) all allow you to run something once on your PC and then access the videos through a web interface and the built-in Media Player or mplayer.

The advantage is that you don't need any additional software on the tablet, but the disadvantage is that it's not possible to seek in the stream.

So, as knots is a two-part solution it has that extra feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Well, I didn't notice the original announcement, and haven't tried it yet, but I'm definitely interested, I'll see if the required version of vlc is easily installable on my vdr headless machine.
How does it cope with a channels.conf with more than 7000 channels?
edit: I mean, does it retrieve them in batches or, like mobilevdr, tries to read them at once? (mobilevdr dies due to this problem, actually the fault is in the python class it is using, but it dies nevertheless)
Wow, that's an impressive amount of channels How does VDR cope with so many channels? I don't think Knots can handle that many channels atm, but I'd be happy to change that if it's doable somehow. I'd need your channels.conf and the html output from streamdev-server.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
The lack of response may partly be because it isn't clear from you post how it compares to other streaming options, and it sounds a bit like a unpolished quick hack (maybe that isn't the case but that was my initial thought).
Well I wanted to warn people that they may have issues with it. The app itself should work fine, but it's the VLC on different machines I'm worried about. And what makes Knots different? As Jaffa pointed out, I don't think any other solution (non-windows at least) offers seeking. It was the reason I started working on Knots in the first place. And I did put a lot of effort to making Knots as easy to use as possible. For example you can use 770 and n8x0 with different video quality at the same time without having to touch server configuration. But still it's a very early version without extensive testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Wow, that's an impressive amount of channels How does VDR cope with so many channels?
VDR has no problem, I have a problem, since most of them are crap (dead channels, channels I don't care about, etc.), but if I had the determination to clean it up, I'd have knots installed already instead of asking . Besides, it wouldn't stay clean very long (mine is a motorised setup and I can view several satellites, though I regularly watch only 2 or 3), so I just leave it to rot away
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
I don't think Knots can handle that many channels atm, but I'd be happy to change that if it's doable somehow. I'd need your channels.conf and the html output from streamdev-server.
Ok, but first I have to try it and report back.

Tags
knots, linux, os x, streaming, video