Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Like many of us I have many web favourites & web apps and use different browsers to view them in. The ability to deploy different browsers is a major advantage over, (ahem) certain other devices one might mention...

For example, some web apps need a fast, lightweight browser whilst research browsing demands more advanced features.

Call me lazy, but I find it tedious to remember which favourite is in which browser, wait for that browser to open and then pull up the favourites.

Would it be worthwhole to create a desktop app to directly launch a Favourite in a user-defined browser?

Of course we can use desktop launchers for the default browser (microb), but these take up a lot of desktop space and are browser-specific.

I have been using the excellent MyContacts desktop applet and thought this approach might be worthwhile; Perhaps an applet could be built that allows for some kind of dropdown menu to choose a Favourite to launch? This would save desktop space and still allow for scrolling between desktops(?)

As I have no programming knowledge I will have to leave this to minds greater than my own - anyone up for it?

I believe it can be done with Queen Beecon Widget.

This to open Opera to talk.maemo.org

"osso-xterm -e 'opera talk.maemo.org' &"

The Following User Says Thank You to Reffyyyy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Necessity is the Mother of Invention:

Partly to bump this request up, partly to pass on an idea to other non-techie types like myself:

If you're using too much desktop space for web shortcuts you can improvise your own Favourites 'widget' by modifying a desktop contacts launcher:

Create a new contact called, say, 'Favourites'. Give it a distinctive image (like a globe, for example) to make it stand out from regular desktop Contacts.

Delete all the fields apart from 'Web Page' where you can add your first Favourite. Then simply add new 'Web Page' details, one for each of your favourite favourites.

et Voila! - You've made your own, customised home-screen Favourites launcher.

Tap on the 'Contact,' scroll down through your Favourites and tap to launch. This is faster than launching a browser, selecting favourites and then choosing the right one.

It still has limitations - only launches in MicroB, Favourites cannot be individually titled, Favourites cannot be imported, etc., etc., but it does have some advantages: Favourites are synced along with contacts, and desktop space is optimised, of course.

If a numpty like me can make it - what could a skilled programmer do?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post: