Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
... expertice and experience from the very succesful Windows CE...
I'm sorry but which Universe we are talking about here? Because it certainly ain't ours...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Well put, but WP is good. It is built from the ground up using the expertice and experience from the very succesful Windows CE and honed towards modern touch screen phones.
Nope. They just took the core Windows CE, that is as old as Symbian, stripped a lot of features from WinMo 6.5, added a new UI and called it a day.

Mind you, I'm not saying it's something inherently bad (after all, changing the UI layer is what we wanted to happen with Symbian), but it's not the super-duper new OS with active mass balance controllinators, mega particle anti Apple cannons and Android de-polaryzers (Ultimate Edition) that MS marketing will want us to believe.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2011-02-16 at 15:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Well...

and the cherry fiasco should give you a good idea of how much they care about your privacy.
Just read up on Cherry. Completely missed it...

I guess it boils down to picking the lesser evil.

Or host your own data. As Rop Gonggrijp (subpoenaed by US DoD in Wikileaks fishing exp. put it): "For all these people that were asking: this kind of thing is why people run their own mail servers. Get it now?"

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
I'm sorry but which Universe we are talking about here? Because it certainly ain't ours...
The Microsoft paid shill universe, apparently.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Mhm... I chose Maemo because I wanted freedom. Free software, yes, but also the freedom *not* to give away my personal data.

The more I think of it, the more I believe that the freedom to keep data to myself, not having to sign up to some cloud service or having to use a certain account, is even more important than the fact that some version of the OS on my phone is open source at some stage in development.

Given a choice between Windows Phone and Android, I'd stay away from phones altogether. If I had to use one, I'd use Microsoft. Never trust Google. Never ever.
How about go take a look at the full Android source code and come back and say that. Clearly you have not realised that you can do this!
If Android was untrusted then there would be elements in the source code that would clearly show this.
There is not, in fact its in the apps that 3rd parties make which do this. I am very very concerned at moment regarding these 3rd party apps, M$ Office suit, M$ File Commander to name a couple and i wont even get started on the FailBook app.

Manufacturers are building these apps in rather than leaving them in the App zone, this is not Google doing this, it is HTC, Samsung and so on. One should be more worried about the manufacturer rather than a fully open source Apache licensed software called Android.

I have studied the code, looked through it nearly with a tooth comb direct from google code and nothing of what you speak of exists in that code.

It does exist on the other hand within the 3rd party apps, that is why it concerns me. You cant put the blame on google for that. To build them in so that the user can NOT unisnstall them is a clear problem originating from the OEM's Manufacturer.

Fortunately Sony and HTC (to a degree) have unlocked the bootloader as standard to allow the user to remove everything and install a fresh self compiled version of google Android.

That does mean the user must git the code configure it and compile it then install it.

M$ do not and will never allow you to do this so you say you dont trust google? They clearly open up and have a fully transparent firmware. What kind of trust are you talking about exactly?

Originally Posted by volt View Post
I remember back when I went to school some decades ago, that a pro-linux teacher quoted that Linus Thorvalds had said that the Linux kernel was bloated. Now, hard to document such hearsay, so instead I'll document that he said it again in 2009.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10358024-16.html

So, can you now please stop making ignorant fun of people who recognize that the kernel is bigger than what is optimal on limited resources? Powerful cross-device Linux kernel comes at a cost. We're all fine with that, or we'd be on some dumbphone community site, right?
I think you are talking about the 2.4.X kernels and yes they were bloated. With many manufacturers contributing drivers and code to the kernel to say that their hardware supported linux it left it a bit messy lol.

It was sorted in kernel 2.6.X, if you have ever built your own kernel then you will know some things were in 2.4.X built in so you could not remove them but not any more. The 2.6.X kernels allow you to do what you want with them or whatever suits your needs.

No more bloated kernels, fully customized and highly efficiont kernel. The Android runs on a very new kernel version that is NOT bloated in a bad way. The kernel has got drivers compiled in it that depending on certain devies wont be using. The google Android Code usus a genkern (generic kernel) that is precompiled for ease of use. That dont stop you git code the kernel source and building a debloated specific kernel for your particular device.

What i like about android is you can pull the normal source from kernel.org and use the rawr code as a kernel, it will make life a little harder but its very possible.

Graphic drivers and some others remain closed binaries so they have to be added into the binary folder before you compile the kernel to be included. These 3rd party drivers are a block hole.
Black hole software in the free software community are considered dangerous. Not much we can do about that at moment.

At least Sony is trying to open source these. Sony seems to be on our side at least, i would like to say same for Nokia but clearly Nokia has turned to the dark side...

Tags
buysomethinelse, either way, nokia fails, wp7 rulez