Closed Thread
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
I wasn't planning on doing the software side, as that is not my specialty. But to test the hardware, I need a Mer image.

So, can someone who is already on a linux distro make this for me (and for the rest of the community) please.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
But to test the hardware, I need a Mer image.
If you only need to test the hardware, then I don't think you need a Mer image. The stock raspbian is already availlable and contains the I2C driver. When it works, you can start to see how to do it with Mer.

One note however : the I2C driver by default is blacklisted, so you need to remove the line "blacklist i2c-bcm2708" from the file "/etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf".

Also, I am not sure about the availlability of the I2C_HID driver if you need it. Like in mer, you may have to backport/build it yourself.

I can't help more for now, as I have not yet played with its I2C bus, only SPI. The raspberrypi forums have a lot of posts about I2C so this can be a good source of examples.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
The EVM is up and running!

To make this work and program the chip, I need to program it with a OTP file. This file tells the chip how to behave, see this tutorial.

With a change of one in a million: anyone got experience with the making of the OTP file? The tutorial made by TexasInstruments isn's quite sufficient for me to make the file.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
I would like to add one idea that still falls strictly under the keyboard project but still doesn't seem to be mentioned: there should be additionals buttons at the edges.

The N900's Shortcutd has been so nice, and IIRC it is only able to use the camera button. (Btw, one camera-button would be nice as well, with the ability to half-press it, super-nice if that could be used in the camera application and let the volume buttons do cropping/zooming lke in N900.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flux For This Useful Post:
Hi,

First of all, I really love the work you're doing.

I wonder about a few things.
1. What is the value of the parts you're using right now? (the chip + keyboard)
2. Are you planning on selling keyboard other halves when you have them up to the required level of quality?

I'd buy one if it's below ~40 euros , without a second of hesitation .

Also, I'd really love to have shoulder buttons, like on gaming devices. I'd like to map them to (for instance) keys like ctrl and alt.

Last edited by nanderv; 2013-11-28 at 20:51.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nanderv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nanderv View Post
Also, I'd really love to have shoulder buttons, like on gaming devices. I'd like to map them to (for instance) keys like ctrl and alt.
This would be genius, anyone else tired of acrobatics to select all, or suspend/bg something?

1. What is the value of the parts you're using right now? (the chip + keyboard)
It is fully programmable at home, lots of functions, chip is small and cheap.

2. Are you planning on selling keyboard other halves when you have them up to the required level of quality?
No.

This has been discussed and I am in favor of this. I will try to make my prototype with shift and function schoulder-keys!

As for the progress in this thread:
Connecting the i2c keyboard with the RPi is not gonna work with my level of expertise. However, I have paid for my jPhone, so when that is in I will probably make a test-docking station for it. Stay tuned!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:

This has been discussed and I am in favor of this. I will try to make my prototype with shift and function schoulder-keys!
Sorry I probably missed it. Just one observation, it is hard for me to reach power button with keyboard slid out on N900, not sure if fat fingers or just KB part too slim to hold from top (or maybe weight ratio is the problem here?). Anyway just wanted to say: Good luck, we're all counting on you

Last edited by szopin; 2013-11-28 at 21:16. Reason: forgot to mention device

No.
Understandable, but still a pity.

However, things like 3D printing are probably best done in batches, because of startup costs. I know someone who's setting up a 3D printing company, I'll ask him about the prices, and if he's able to produce in the required level of detail.

I really want to help, but my expertise is limited to a basic level of C knowledge, java knowledge, a bit of solidworks knowledge.

I do really really really appreciate the work you're doing, you are awesome!

PS. I hope my jolla (#2786) arrives soon .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nanderv For This Useful Post:
Understandable, but still a pity.
It's more that I totally do not have the resources to do this. I am just a student, a production-line in my bedroom is not going to work

However, I do hope to make it work and show it is easily possible to make your own!

Other question, has anyone encountered info about which connections on the back are which?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty