Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Having a console and real OS tools means you can automate a lot of tasks.
Indeed. However, do you really think that the sort of user for whom what you describe is a straightforward task is the sort of user that Jolla is now aiming for? I'd suggest that they need to appeal to a broader, more typical smartphone (and tablet) user if they want to stay in business (the console and command line tools would then be an added benefit for those that want and need them) - particularly if they are hoping to attract (and more crucially, retain) 3rd party OEM interest.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Totally agree with @juiceme, with less than 20 apps, you cover 95% of the user needs.

And regarding the support of paid app, juste have a look around the web. You'll read many articles about the fact that making a leaving with paid apps is a kind of mirage.
As for donations, just this morning I made a donation to the creator of Working Hour Tracker. Extremely nice tool that I have started using to keep tabs on how much time I really use working.

And mind you, the app in question is BSD licensed Fully Open Source SW and available in GitHub. (And frankly if it was not so I probably would not have made any donations, I do have my standards you see...)

So regardless of whether there are paid apps or not in the store, the people creating useful SW will be paid by someone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
So regardless of whether there are paid apps or not in the store, the people creating useful SW will be paid by someone.
Maybe, but how much? Enough to pay their rent/mortgage/car loan/kids' school?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
lets ask to some developer, there are many on this site.

Coderus, cepiperez, nieldk and others, would you mind to tell us how much you earn with this work? or for respect your privacy if it is enought to live with that as primary fund?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Donations are probably never enough to pay for a living. But to keep the developer motivated to keep on working on it. And I personally use the donations I received to reinforce the ecosystem (buying tablet, supporting other developers).

I think you would need a very accepted app (many buyers) if you want to be able to live from paid apps as we still have very little sailfish users.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to luke_dirtwalker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Absolutely, and guys do not forget this equation:

make a living = get money on a regular basis

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I counted only the native applications of course. Android apps in the Jolla store are waste of space IMHO anyway.
And talking about N9, it had a huge range of applications available in the store, can you honestly say there was something you missed?
All in all, there are just about 2-digit number or so of possible applications that anyone could need, of course the personal mix of what you find useful might differ between people

I see no real need to have 10^6 applications in a store... Many people think that WP is bad because the windoze application store is limited; That is untrure. WP is bad because it is rigid; you cannot extend it, you cannot make the darn box do want you want to. It has nothing to do with the number of applications in store. iPhone has gazillion apps and it also sucks for the same reason.

Care to elaborate? Why would it be important to have "smartphone apps" whatever you mean by that?
Isn't it more important that you can accomplish all your tasks with the device easily and optimally without any extra hazzles, wouldn't you agree that the smarter the device is the less time you need to keep squinting at the UI and tapping at silly small buttons on it?

Having a console and real OS tools means you can automate a lot of tasks to the point that you need not touch any kind of UI. Try doing that on WP or iDevice. On Androidid is possible but more painful than on an OS built for that kind of workflow.
So if you do not know what are modern apps and you do need UI with buttons, why did you buy jolla and not n900 that has most apps jolla has and cheaper and more hackable?
As well as it's kind of funny to hear guy who talks about open source and on other hand says that there is no need for several same apps. Maybe the freedom of choice and as well as competition is good.
You may as well tell that there is no need for Facebook or Twitter, but currently there is no proper apps even for that. But again I feel that any app that most people are using (even if it's not important time-waste apps) and is not on jolla I mention you'll tell there is no need for that. But guess what, I want to decide not to use Facebook app/chat and not to be forced because there is no option.
Those apps maybe are not most useful, and maybe you use ssh to connect to home server to switch song from toilet more often than using apps with UI, but those apps are standards for any smartphone.
And about UI vs console. Yes on computer console may be more useful than gui apps in a lot of cases, but not on the phone. You can't admire swipe, gestures and pulley menu (features of jolla being unlike) and at the same time to say you use console. You see the logic here? If you like swipes so much, but use only console apps?
And yes android and iPhone have hundreds of thousands shitty apps and programs, but still even if they have 10% of cool apps it's way more than jolla has in total - not to compare, just telling that you shouldn't judge android by bad apps, but by good apps, as most services, gadgets, iots support android out of box, android has system administration, console and terminal, and you can even compile kernel. So if you compare you should not compare good side of you fav product with bad side of other one. Btw there are roms which are more open source and hack friendly than jolla

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
So a device.maker like HTC for example doesn't want to include alien dalvik and.maps? Strange...
HTC wouldn't be allowed by mother Google to make a Sailfish OS device with Alien Dalvik. Neither would any other Open Handset Alliance member.

The Following User Says Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by From Vertu with Love View Post
HTC wouldn't be allowed by mother Google to make a Sailfish OS device with Alien Dalvik. Neither would any other Open Handset Alliance member.
Exactly how is HTC's mother Google?

And if so, then how did this happen?

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Exactly how is HTC's mother Google?
As mentioned above, it is a member of the (ironically named) Open Handset Alliance and has to follow its rules.

As part of its efforts to promote a unified Android platform, OHA members are contractually forbidden from producing devices that are based on incompatible forks of Android

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
And if so, then how did this happen?
Since when Windows Phone (or specifically that version on the HTC phone) can run Android apps or is an 'incompatible fork of Android'?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: