Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by jdrescher View Post
That was a really good tip from you. I recently had a little bit of spare time and looked into PinchMap used by FourSail. With some slight modifications it is now doing most of the things I want.

However there is one thing I don't even know how to start with. It's track lines. The only idea I have right now, is to draw a qml image with a small dot on every track coordinate. But that's thousand of images, I don't know if that makes sense. May I ask how you did that in modRana?
@jdrescher, unless you want to run it on J1, why not to switch to Mapbox GL? It has all you need and even more: pan/zoom, you can easily insert the routes or POIs into the map as geo-objects and the widget will draw it for you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
libcurl to the rescue! I have just published an updated version of the plugin that allows (at least on my device) to use Mapbox GL against OSM Scout Server in fully offline mode (all network interfaces are disabled).

Get new plugin here: https://openrepos.net/content/rinigu...indings-qt-qml

or by running update against my OpenRepos repo.

We've got lucky, since Mapbox GL uses libcurl for other platforms. So, I just had to make small changes in build file to use the code that loads data using libcurl. Seems to work as intended.

Downside is that I have a version of QMapboxGL which is somewhat different from the upstream. At least until the issue in Qt will not be resolved properly.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Downside is that I have a version of QMapboxGL which is somewhat different from the upstream. At least until the issue in Qt will not be resolved properly.
Is the Qt 5 source code & packaging Jolla uses available somewhere in the open (eq. on git.merproject.org, etc.) ?

That could possibly enable tracking the issue down independently on Jolla & sending a patch, which could make thing happen quicker, as they would just have to review, merge and QA the the fix, but not also develop it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Sep 2013 @ Norway
I have tried the new Mapbox GL update. super fast map update. Fully functional offline. You are genius .

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PamNor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Is the Qt 5 source code & packaging Jolla uses available somewhere in the open (eq. on git.merproject.org, etc.) ?

That could possibly enable tracking the issue down independently on Jolla & sending a patch, which could make thing happen quicker, as they would just have to review, merge and QA the the fix, but not also develop it.
I expect so, but I don't know where.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2017 @ Germany
@jdrescher, unless you want to run it on J1, why not to switch to Mapbox GL? It has all you need and even more: pan/zoom, you can easily insert the routes or POIs into the map as geo-objects and the widget will draw it for you.
Hm, that sounds interesting. Is there an example project with a little bit of information/explanation?

The Following User Says Thank You to jdrescher For This Useful Post:
Hm, that sounds interesting. Is there an example project with a little bit of information/explanation?
Sure!

Example codes:

Vector maps are different from raster in the interactivity with them, you can insert/remove/modify your objects. So, API has to be richer than before.

To learn, I would suggest to
  • Make an account at Mapbox, go to Mapbox Studio and try to edit one of their styles. Just play a little bit with it (10-15 min) to get the feeling of interaction between sources/layers/properties
  • Take a brief look into https://www.mapbox.com/mapbox-gl-js/style-spec (10-15 min); later you will need to read sections on the need basis
  • API for the widget is documented at https://github.com/rinigus/mapbox-gl.../master/api.md . Look through, you don't need every property/signal, just get a feeling
  • Start hacking on the basis of examples
  • Don't hesitate to ask for help.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2017 @ Germany
To learn, I would suggest to
  • Make an account at Mapbox, go to Mapbox Studio and try to edit one of their styles. Just play a little bit with it (10-15 min) to get the feeling of interaction between sources/layers/properties
  • Take a brief look into https://www.mapbox.com/mapbox-gl-js/style-spec (10-15 min); later you will need to read sections on the need basis
  • API for the widget is documented at https://github.com/rinigus/mapbox-gl.../master/api.md . Look through, you don't need every property/signal, just get a feeling
  • Start hacking on the basis of examples
  • Don't hesitate to ask for help.
Damn, PinchMap is almost working and now you come along with this one
Before I start digging into it I have a few questions:
  • is it stable enough to work with it already?
  • is it possible to have map buttons?
  • OSM Scout Server connection is working?
Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdrescher For This Useful Post:
Damn, PinchMap is almost working and now you come along with this one
Before I start digging into it I have a few questions:
  • is it stable enough to work with it already?
  • is it possible to have map buttons?
  • OSM Scout Server connection is working?
Thanks!
Yes/Yes/Yes.

To test, get Poor Maps GL from OpenRepos and try it out. That will tell you about stability. I don't recall it crashing for a while, if ever. As for API stability, hard to tell. I don't have any plans to change it, but it maybe adjusted for better as long as we get more developers using it. Its in our hands this time, not Qt/Jolla/...

You can get widgets on top of the map by long press, as in Poor Maps proper. When you move, rotate and change the pitch, all widgets would move accordingly.

OSM Scout Server connection is working for 20 hours already

data.modrana.org is down and there is an error in OSM Scout Server download manager code which prevents it to use backup server provided by @bomo. That part of the code was tested against a single server since I didn't have a luxury of map distribution via multiple servers. As a result, right now we cannot download the maps, sorry for inconvenience.

I'll re-write parts of Map Manager to support multiple servers, so we could be a bit more resistant to data.modrana.org downtime.

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles