The XA2 is new. If jolla doesn't work as expexted, i think the XA2 will get android-updates two years longer.

bigger display 5.2" vs. 5.0"
39h talktime vs 10h talktime
863h vs 580h standby
LTE cat12/13 vs. LTE cat6
bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.2
dual SIM vs. sinlge SIM
8core vs 6core

and some other things more.
https://together.jolla.com/question/...t=votes&page=1

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Reading this comparison I do not really ee the XA2 as enhancement
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...nes/10772,9986
https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?...&idPhone2=7948
Significantly smaller lithography - less power consumption, better efficiency. Two more cores with all the same extensions, higher maximum clock. Significantly larger battery - I already get 4 days to a week on Xperia X. That alone is worth it to me.

Plus, the design of the XA2 is reminiscent of the Nokia N9 - flat top and bottom, rounded corners. At least to me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Yup, love the design.
Not a good point that the speaker is at the bottom :/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Be careful when comparing the X & XA2 by core number. As you can see:

Xperia X:
Hexa-core (4x1.4 GHz Cortex-A53 & 2x1.8 GHz Cortex-A72)

Xperia XA2:
Octa-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A53

While XA2 has 8 cores, it's 8 times the simpler less advanced A53 core, while X has a big-little cluster with four simpler A53 cores and two more advanced A72 cores. This could have some advantages in single core performance and also in the rather important "race to idle" (getting task done as soon as possible so that the phone can quickly return to low power states).

On the other hand, it might still not be really noticeable with real world usecases (maybe people already did some comparisons/benchmarks on Android ?).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Significantly smaller lithography - less power consumption, better efficiency. Two more cores with all the same extensions, higher maximum clock. Significantly larger battery - I already get 4 days to a week on Xperia X. That alone is worth it to me.
Yet those cores are not faster than those of even the JP1. Not many apps will actually use those eight cores. I have an 1.4GHz quad core tablet (Ubuntu Touch). It uses the same A53 cores. It is slow.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
XA2's Snapdragon 630 uses big.LITTLE as well. 4 x 2.2GHz + 4 x 1.8GHz with the 630 vs 6x 1.2GHz + 2x 1.8GHz with the 650. Watching AIDA on various benches on my Xperia X, I rarely ever get the more advanced cores to spin up, so I don't count on them doing a lot.

The lithography and clock speed differences are monumental. At worst, the 630 will be as fast as the 650, but with much less power consumption.

JP1 is a dual core 1.4GHz Krait 300, with really slow (by modern standards) LPDDR2. That's a huge bandwidth and clock/core hit. That's why it's slow.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Because it's not. It's a low-mid range phone, whereas X was almost top of the line.
Specs are almost the same. So I don't understand what clovis86 is so excited about.
sure, if we are talking about price. It was just an overpriced midranger. Even X Performance was quite behind other flagships.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
XA2's Snapdragon 630 uses big.LITTLE as well. 4 x 2.2GHz + 4 x 1.8GHz with the 630
That's not what the spec sheet says. big.LITTLE is not just about clock speeds, it's about mixing low-powered and high-powered cores, using them when needed. The 650 does have a big.LITTLE set-up, the 630 hasn't.

My claim is that for most intents and purposes the XA2 isn't (much) faster than the JP1, despite the much newer tech.

From Wikipedia: Cortex A53 scores 2.24 DMIPS/MHz; Krait 300 scores 3.39 DMIPS/MHz. Converted to their maximum frequency on these devices: A53: 4928 DMIPS. Krait 300: 4746 DMIPS. Based on this, the A53 at 2.2GHz is barely 4% faster than a Krait 300 at 1.4GHz.

Sure there are other factors, and yeah the 630 has four times the cores, but I'll kinda doubt you'll notice that when doing some browsing.

Given my experience with a A53-powered device, I'm not too compelled to buy another one.

Last edited by Fuzzillogic; 2018-06-17 at 10:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Jan 2018 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
That's not what the spec sheet says. big.LITTLE is not just about clock speeds, it's about mixing low-powered and high-powered cores, using them when needed. The 650 does have a big.LITTLE set-up, the 630 hasn't.

My claim is that for most intents and purposes the XA2 isn't (much) faster than the JP1, despite the much newer tech.

From Wikipedia: Cortex A53 scores 2.24 DMIPS/MHz; Krait 300 scores 3.39 DMIPS/MHz. Converted to their maximum frequency on these devices: A53: 4928 DMIPS. Krait 300: 4746 DMIPS. Based on this, the A53 at 2.2GHz is barely 4% faster than a Krait 300 at 1.4GHz.

Sure there are other factors, and yeah the 630 has four times the cores, but I'll kinda doubt you'll notice that when doing some browsing.

Given my experience with a A53-powered device, I'm not too compelled to buy another one.
Maybe ur right but i would like to see a review of testing between those Phones u mentioned and on a different OS , user experience etc.?
Already have an XA2 (waiting for SFOS 3), used xperia x before with sfos and andy. and user experience is totally different even specsheets say otherwise!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aQUICK1 For This Useful Post:
All that I can tell is that XA2 is also running really smoothly on Oreo.
I can compare to the X before I switched it to SFOS and we are talking about 2 different experiences.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x