Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I don't know if you've noticed or not, but the search here blows balls. I usually go and try to search with Google to find things.

I ain't too keen on the whole Layout of TMO. Pretty crappy for a Linux site....

Ohhh, and after all that, you didn't answer the question...

What's the difference?

That was the question.
I agree that this site is not too user-friendly. Still we have power search on right that is powered by google and I find it quite handy. And about answer. I think that you can find some answers from thread that has been already linked on this thread.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bobaseth View Post
That 5 days of battery life sounds sexy! I did a little thread search for info about "Mathan's Hildon-Desktop Fix" but this thread keeps popping up. What does it do?
click power search
search with terms:
matan hildon-desktop
choose wiki
choose user matan
click link modified-desktop.

Want more hints?

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Certainly putting Matan's name in the title with a typo didn't help those who didn't know him already

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Certainly putting Matan's name in the title with a typo didn't help those who didn't know him already
Sorry about that. That also explains why I didn't find the thing, even with Google.

That 5 days of battery life sounds sexy! I did a little thread search for info about "Mathan's Hildon-Desktop Fix" but this thread keeps popping up. What does it do?
That fix keeps hildon-desktop CPU usage low. Without it, on my N900 it stays at 4%-5%, reducing battery life from 1/3 to 2/3 (guestimate).

Now, in order to achieve 5 days, you must do some sacrifices. In my case:
  1. I have only two desktop widgets: weather and calendar (only calendar on my default desktop)
  2. No python-based daemons (not sure if it helps) installed
  3. No customizations to N900 menus (except for flashlight)
  4. No 3G (GSM only configuration - blame this on my current plan)
  5. No cellular data transfer (blame it also on my messed up carrier)
  6. Just a few calls a day
  7. Just a few minutes of email, internet browsing, witter a day

I'm not found on any of those "sacrifices", but I've just observed that was what makes the battery last longer.

I just wish the N900 had a monster battery in order to keep it always connected and working for a long time.

Originally Posted by mirakels View Post
it is not mathan's fix, but the fix is in his version of hildon-desktop. I think it is pretty saveto just install his version in PR1.3.

I noticed this fact minutes after upgrading to pr 1.3 and reinstalled my own build of hildon-desktop right away. The pr1.3 version is just a few updates behind on he latest git updates and unfortunately does not have the 'invisible bouncing' fix.
@mirakels Do you know why it wasn't included in PR1.3? People are reporting that the battery performance has improved after PR1.3. I guess this fix would have driven it way further, still...

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
I don't know why they did not include that fix. Maybe because the fix was added after the 'parting words' log entry in the git changelog.

I just noticed the high cpu usage after the upgrade when at top in an xterm...

Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
That fix keeps hildon-desktop CPU usage low. Without it, on my N900 it stays at 4%-5%, reducing battery life from 1/3 to 2/3 (guestimate).

Now, in order to achieve 5 days, you must do some sacrifices. In my case:
  1. I have only two desktop widgets: weather and calendar (only calendar on my default desktop)
  2. No python-based daemons (not sure if it helps) installed
  3. No customizations to N900 menus (except for flashlight)
  4. No 3G (GSM only configuration - blame this on my current plan)
  5. No cellular data transfer (blame it also on my messed up carrier)
  6. Just a few calls a day
  7. Just a few minutes of email, internet browsing, witter a day

I'm not found on any of those "sacrifices", but I've just observed that was what makes the battery last longer.

I just wish the N900 had a monster battery in order to keep it always connected and working for a long time.
I see. Me, 2 widgets (Omwheather & Facebook) no Flashlight, I got T-Mobile USA (3G), heavy internet use, 21 apps total including widgets. I use "Plastic Theme & Auto Disconnect" I've been running this girl stock since day one other then that me and you are the same. I like the transitions speed with "Plastic Theme" and I don't mind getting a fix for the "Hildon Desktop Clogging/Battery Drain." issue. I like speed and efficiency. That's what pulled me to this thread! Need help figure out what's the best " Custom Hildon Desktop Mod" to choose from and how to do it. Thanks!

(...) and I don't mind getting a fix for the "Hildon Desktop Clogging/Battery Drain." issue. I like speed and efficiency. That's what pulled me to this thread! Need help figure out what's the best " Custom Hildon Desktop Mod" to choose from and how to do it. Thanks!
To install that it is just a matter of downloading the deb file (posted on this thread). Then, on terminal:

rootsh dpkg -i filename.deb

You should get the fix. However, I still haven't found time to upgrade to PR1.3 (I need to back up a lot of thigs: file system hacks, to have my ext3-formated-SD card working, Modest gconf customizations, keyboard customizations and a lot other small stuff that I still have to go hunting for them). So I can't say this particular fix will work with PR1.3 (it should, though).

so does this improve battery if I install it on pr 1.3?