Active Topics

Is there a mix in cable for the n800?

I want to connect my n800 to a mix in jack on my electronic drumset but dont know what cable to buy.

sorry if this is a dumb question.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by drumaholic View Post
Is there a mix in cable for the n800?

I want to connect my n800 to a mix in jack on my electronic drumset but dont know what cable to buy.

sorry if this is a dumb question.
Not being a drummer, I need to ask you - does your "mix in" jack input a digital signal or an analog signal into your drumset, . . . or . . . does it output a digital signal or an analog signal from your drumset?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by drumaholic View Post
The audio out on the Internet tablets is just 1/8-inch unbalanced. What's the mix in on your drum set, TRS?

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
That depends - what signal are you trying to get where?

- if you are trying to get sounds from your N800 into your drumset (eg to sample the sounds the N800 makes) it's trivial - take a cable that has a standard 3.5mm headphone plug at one end and whatever your drumset uses at the other side.

Anything else is hard, very hard or damn near impossible

- if you are trying to use the N800 to record sounds from your drumkit, that's hard (and a bit pointless; quality would be very low, mono and low sampling rate) but not impossible: get a 4-connector 3.5mm plug, figure out which one is the microphone connector and find recording software for the N800 (Maemo Recorder)

- MIDI in or out: very hard, not without a USB MIDI interface, kernel hackery to use the USB MIDI interface and software to make use of all this nonstandard stuff (hey, maybe Milkytracker could be made to work!)

I know a bit about the N800's audio jack. But knowing nothing about electronic drumsets, I don't know what cable either...

See Nokia's docs on the cable for info; audio out is compatible with a standard 3.5mm jack, with the mic (of course, there's no video output) on the extra ring. (I'm assuming that "mix in" means an input to the drum set? If you need the mic access, get a splitter from EPO, but the tablets don't record well...)

Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Not being a drummer, I need to ask you - does your "mix in" jack input a digital signal or an analog signal into your drumset, . . . or . . . does it output a digital signal or an analog signal from your drumset?
basically what i want to do is play music from my n800 (sd card) into the drum module ( what makes the sounds for the triggered pads) that go through to my headphones.

so yeah it inputs a digital signal or an analog (music) signal into the e-kit

so im just maybe looking for like a cable converter so i can connect my line in cable to my n800. the only reason i cant do it with mine is because one metal side is smaller than the other side. i connect the cable into the module but the other side of the cable doesnt fit anywhere on my n800. hope that clears things up.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Now, what I Think your kit has is NOT the unbalanced 1/8 or 1/4 inch input. I think you have XLR

There are three "major" types of cables (which you might know):

The TRS connectors (aka standard headphone or guitar plug)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

This is native tablet output, so all you need is a 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) converter (or maybe not).

The RCA connectors (aka the red and white ones)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector

For this, you need a splitter jack. These usually come with digital cameras. You can also buy one. (google 1/8 to RCA). Look for male-male cable, or else you have to daisy chain a few...

The XLR connectors (aka the pro ones)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

For this, you once again have to buy a converter. I guess you know what to search. This is what I think you have.

UNLESS YOU HAVE MIDI INPUT. THEN YOU ARE SCREWED...

You have to explain what input you have. Basically, if a iPod can do it, the N800 can also.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.