Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
btw, do you planning to put everything inside? outside will be more hardcore
have to adjust 3d model to latest pcb design, but only breadboard and headers from the pcb will be visible!

i can make the pcb and parts visible from the outside if that is preferable, but i like it to be protected inside the casing!

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-10-18 at 21:03. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Will there be an option for just the PCB, assembled and programmed but without the case and the breadboard? Not in the store ATM. If there were such an option, what would the price difference be?

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Will there be an option for just the PCB, assembled and programmed but without the case and the breadboard? Not in the store ATM. If there were such an option, what would the price difference be?
I will look into this tomorrow!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Will there be an option for just the PCB
I think you are better of printing a version of the MyHalf by Kimmo, that has basically the same functionality. But added the option. (original costs + assembling &programming - the costs of the casing and breadboard)

The PCB is finalized and ordered a shitload of them

Also, hooked about 3 euros of parts to my Jolla yesterday (5V step up and stereo amplifier) to power two full sized speakers without external power source. VIDEO
Important question: how do you determine how powerful a phone is? Processing speed? Pixels? Or amps and dB?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
I think you are better of printing a version of the MyHalf by Kimmo, that has basically the same funtionality.
Yes, I figured that one too when I actually engaged my brain. What I wanted to do was scavenging one of my useless TOHs for the purpose, placing the PCB on the outside. But then I realized the components are on the wrong side so I may end up doing my own PCB, or not use a PCB at all (e.g. use part of the breadboard instead).

OTOH, my birthday is coming and my other half has already asked me for my wishlist so...

I was going to make something very similar to this, i'll get around to it one day...

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Streets of Avalon | Zwolle, the Netherlands
Now I want to buy a Jolla

Small update:

- Ready to order all SMD components. Changed from the parts I regularly use (603 package) to a lot larger package (1206), which will make soldering very easy.

Will wait with ordering untill PCBs are sent, to avoid cashflow issues now

- PCBs are ordered, but manufacturer is not the most flexible. Had one issue with file, so had to adjust design and upload again. Now the next issue is that the manufacturer has two files... Uch.

Latest casing:

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-10-22 at 16:30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Hmm, PCBs are ready and shipped already!

Will order parts and finalize casing this week.

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
This is really cool.
that's exactly what I was thinking about the first time I read about I2C capability of Jolla.

Too bad I can't think of anything I would really do with it - I'm almost tempted to buy one just because THIS is really what makes the Jolla special....

Tags
a cala-breeze!