Posts: 251 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland, Vaasa
Originally Posted by evad View Post
I've started having same issue recently and initially I've been inclined to believe it's a software-related issue (happening on both PR1.1 and PR1.1.1), however reading this thread and #6063 entry in bugzilla, I'm getting into hardware-related mood, unfortunately. I just did couple of quick tests, by making a call and pressing device hardly against my ear, which invoked crackling noise and volume fading up/down. Not good. :|

I will try to visit Nokia service centre at Oxford St. in CPW store in London sometime this week asking them to try make a fix on the spot, using instructions from the other thread, but frankly I doubt they'll do it (I've already had not very nice experience with them in regards to my E71 repair). On the other hand, I might try to do the fix myself, however I'm not sure whether I'm that adventurous.

All in all, it seems to be hw-related bug, unfortunately...

UPDATE:
Got earpiece in my N900 replaced under warranty moments ago - so far so good, there's no crackling sound when pressing phone against my ear, which is promising. However, I'd need to wait a bit longer and use phone more to see whether fading out volume issue is totally gone.
Have you experienced volume call dropping problem since u have got your phone back?

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by mele View Post
Have you experienced volume call dropping problem since u have got your phone back?
Nope, not even once over past 4 days since I've got phone repaired. Conclusion seems to be quite obvious by now.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
I have received my phone back after sending it to Nokia for the second time. They again sent it back without repairing a thing and only flashing the firmware (and after being informed that they would be sending me a replacement phone).

I am now told that in order to receive a replacement, I should (for the third time) send my phone in for evaluation before they coudl determine whether or not it qualified to be replaced. I am also told that they could find no faults with the phone and that it had to be an issue with one of the settings -- if it were an issue with one of the settings, then a factory reset should have resolved this issue, and it hasn't.

At this point, I'm beginning to regret purchasing this device. While I absolutely adore it for what it can do, I've never in my life had so much trouble with techncial nor customer suport.

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
I have received my phone back after sending it to Nokia for the second time. They again sent it back without repairing a thing and only flashing the firmware (and after being informed that they would be sending me a replacement phone).

I am now told that in order to receive a replacement, I should (for the third time) send my phone in for evaluation before they coudl determine whether or not it qualified to be replaced. I am also told that they could find no faults with the phone and that it had to be an issue with one of the settings -- if it were an issue with one of the settings, then a factory reset should have resolved this issue, and it hasn't.

At this point, I'm beginning to regret purchasing this device. While I absolutely adore it for what it can do, I've never in my life had so much trouble with techncial nor customer suport.
that sucks! have you mailed this thread to them?

I took my phone to repair today, they have queue from week to one and half week. Then we see if they got my phone fixed.

I have taken the liberty of installing recaller onto my phone. I have spoken with Nokia (Palco) once again, answering very specific questions, some of which (and their answers) being:

Q: Would you agree that in a previous conversation between you and I that you promised I would get a brand new N900, not the same defective phone back?
A: Yes.

Q: Can you explain to me then, why I am speaking on the same defective unit instead of a replacement?
A: ** rambles on about how they can send me a replacement now if I send my phone in, etc, avoiding the question all together **

Q: If I send in my phone, for what is now the third time, are you saying that without a question, I am guaranteed to get a brand new device?
A: Yes

The above are slightly paraphrased from memory because I'm too lazy to suffer through that nearly hour long call unless absolutely neccessary. If I end up receiving the same phone back in the same condition I will release the recording and update the questions verbatim.

Yaay going another week without my phone!

Let`s hope for the best

After almost a week of having my replacement (which actually is a replacement this time) I have experienced no more call volume issues. In fact, I was worried some other issue would spawn, but none have. While I still think Nokia customer/technical care is attrocious, I am finally satisfied with my N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
I just fetch my N900 from service and make one call and everything is fine. Have to make some more calls though.

They change earphone in my phone.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Well I've been following this bugreport closely and it seems that there are two variations of this problem.

The first is that it is a hardware problem (for which I took mine in and got it repaired) and a second software problem.

I think most people suffer from the former problem, and I think it has got something to do simply with the way the N900 was designed. The earpiece is very suceptible to malfunction and overall the volume in the earpiece seems to be really low.

So I think that this is a problem we're stuck with, with everyone suffering from it more or less. That is unless Nokia raises the volume through software somehow (should be possible, right?).

I have been having this problem as well.

I reflashed my device to attempt to fix it and that didnt work.

I have noticed that my earpiece on my N900 seems like it has dust and other various things in it. Perhaps it has some residue from my Invisible Armor in it as well.

Can anyone recommend a way to clean out the earpiece on the phone without damaging it?